Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricowatatsu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Hello everyone. Just as a foreword, this is all pure conjecture since the game is out and nobody has any idea about how it will perform on any system. That said, how do we expect it to run on the various models. My main question centers around the 2010 11 inch models, as it seems likely that the 2010 1.86 c2d will likely have enough to do at least minimum settings. What do the rest of you think?

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Hello everyone. Just as a foreword, this is all pure conjecture since the game is out and nobody has any idea about how it will perform on any system. That said, how do we expect it to run on the various models. My main question centers around the 2010 11 inch models, as it seems likely that the 2010 1.86 c2d will likely have enough to do at least minimum settings. What do the rest of you think?

It will run identically.

42streetsdown

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2011
Gallifrey, 5124
I've never tried playing games on the 2010 MacBook Airs because i've never owned one, but I play Starcraft 2 on medium settings at 30 fps all the time on my 2011 13 inch Air. and I think it's limited going to higher settings more because it has to share RAM with the CPU more than slow GPU speeds.
I think Diablo 3 will probably behave comparably, but of course it's impossible to say until we see it released.

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
That is to say, poorly.

Why don't you leave, troll? Isn't your time spent better doing something other than lurking on the MacBook Air section trying to tell us it is poor at gaming?

They will run it extremely playably on low to mid settings.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I think people will be pleseantly surprised, because think about D3 and compare them to other games such as a first person shooter or other role playing games. The main difference is that D3 is set on an almost two dimensional field, meanwhile most games we play today are set in a 3D structure, which is also free and open. Based on what we see thus far it may look pretty but when you get down to the technical aspect of the game is much simpler then other 3D games. Once you load an area of D3 then it's loaded, and there is no need to task the CPU. The rest of the game play stems directly from the GPU. Particle effects, shadows, and texture quality will directly relate to this.

To answer the question. I think both the 2011 and 2010 MBA will be able to play D3 and the FPS will be directly linked to the quality of visuals you want to see. We will find out soon when beta starts.

Vanillian

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Why don't you leave, troll? Isn't your time spent better doing something other than lurking on the MacBook Air section trying to tell us it is poor at gaming?

Extremely playable? What does that mean? And what do you base this on, soothsayer?

The real answer is it may be playable, and if it is it probably won't be unless it is on low settings. This based on the idea that it requires slightly more umph than Starcraft 2. No one knows for sure what the requirements will be, but this is the best estimate.

He isn't trolling. The MacBook Air with its HD3000 is going to struggle to play modern games and to say anything different is misleading. If it can play future games it will be at very low settings, at very low resolutions, and you will probably not experience the game in the way it was meant to be played by the developers. If that is fine with you, like it is with me, you can go bananas and win awards or eat a hat or whatever it is you do to express happiness. Stating that the MacBook Air will be "EXTREMELY" capable, whatever that means, of playing future games is like saying a toaster is capable of flight if you are able to throw it hard enough.

The final word on gaming is:
If it has came out in the last 5 years the Air can play it, and sometimes surprising well. If it is coming out in the next year, the Air will probably be able to play it, but at settings you probably wouldn't want to wish to view your girlfriend at alright?

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland

Man, if you actually read what I said in the gaming thread, you'll see I was standing up for the Air whilst that character 2IS was ripping it. I love my Air, and it plays Trine (one of the few games i play on it) pretty nicely, but it seriously struggles whenever you bump the anti-aliasing or anistropic filtering on anything above "off".

I'm just giving you an honest opinion. I've got better things to do than sit around convincing the world that the MacBook Air is not a gaming computer, which to me is fairly self-evident.

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Man, if you actually read what I said in the gaming thread, you'll see I was standing up for the Air whilst that character 2IS was ripping it. I love my Air, and it plays Trine (one of the few games i play on it) pretty nicely, but it seriously struggles whenever you bump the anti-aliasing or anistropic filtering on anything above "off".

I'm just giving you an honest opinion. I've got better things to do than sit around convincing the world that the MacBook Air is not a gaming computer, which to me is fairly self-evident.

Define gaming computer. To me, a gaming computer plays any game I'd want to play including new gen games.

Maybe you're referring to using Ultimate Settings in games on big chunky laptops. That's cool but that's not gaming. That's benchmarking for the sake of... Dunno.

I haven't found a single game I can't play on my Air yet. So... ?

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Define gaming computer.

I'd define it as a notebook with dedicated graphics and a cooling design that's meant to keep it cool during long gaming stints. Something like an Alienware (from Dell) or an Asus G-Series or even the Macbook Pro models with dedicated graphics. I hope this helps. :)

Edit: oh and it'd have to be capable of running games with an constant fps of at least 30 on medium-ish settings.

hereyago

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
mba 2011's bottleneck for games is intel hd graphics 3000. it's really ****** for modern games.

i'm guessing it can play d3 on minimum settings if that's what you want to know. cant guarantee good fps though.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I'd define it as a notebook with dedicated graphics and a cooling design that's meant to keep it cool during long gaming stints. Something like an Alienware (from Dell) or an Asus G-Series or even the Macbook Pro models with dedicated graphics. I hope this helps. :)

Edit: oh and it'd have to be capable of running games with an constant fps of at least 30 on medium-ish settings.

I tend to agree with this definition of a gaming computer. But that is not to mean that computers that don't fall into that category aren't capable of playing games.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I don't think the definition of a gaming computer can be widely disputed. Essentially it is a computer that is built with the primary purpose of playing video games. This can include a dedicated graphics solution, large amount of RAM, and sufficient cooling utilities. The MBA does not have these as a primary function, but that does not mean people cannot play games on them. They are primarily portable machines and built with that function in mind. People sacrifice the quality of their gameplay to gain the function of being able to play games at all. I don't see why people have such a righteous attitude when they see people playing games on the MBA and rush to tell them that they are wrong. Get over it! If you disagree and have nothing to contribute to such discussions then move on. Whenever a gaming topic on this forum gets brought up it gets so derailed that it becomes useless.

Mobius 1

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2011
USEA
mba 2011's bottleneck for games is intel hd graphics 3000. it's really ****** for modern games.

i'm guessing it can play d3 on minimum settings if that's what you want to know. cant guarantee good fps though.

+1

At least they can put a GT540m 1GB in the 2011 mbp/mba

really nice price-to-performance ratio

but srsly if u want cheap game device just buy a PS3, but be noted that a PS3 only renders game environment with max AA and texture for a short distance. far objects are rendered with min settings

where as a computer renders everything

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Blizzard always aims for the lowest common denominator. Like when SC2 came out. I'll bet you guys D3 will be playable on mid (one or two settings on high) with the HD3000 (on the windows side most likely....)

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Maybe you're referring to using Ultimate Settings in games on big chunky laptops. That's cool but that's not gaming.

No? I'm pretty sure that playing any game on any hardware is classified as gaming.

Benchmarking is benchmarking.

Let's not talk rubbish for the sake of winning an argument that only exists in your head.

I was not arguing that you could not play games on the MacBook Air, just that it will not do it to a particularly high standard. Whether that's an issue for you or not is entirely down to your perceive to be acceptable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.