Speculation about iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joeshell383, Jun 28, 2009.

1. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Here is some speculation about where the iPhone might go in the next few revisions. Let me know what you think. I tried to keep it somewhat realistic.

June/July 2010- iPhone 3GS+
    Same encasing as 3G/S
    Same processor/RAM/graphics as 3GS
    16, 32, 64 GB models @ 99/199/299 3G and 3GS discontinued
    5 MP camera, no flash/zoom
    OLED display
    Bluetooth 3.0
    USB 3.0
    N Wi-Fi
    Improved battery
    Wireless charging capability built-in every phone (charging dock sold separately for $99)
    14Mbps 3G support

Potential one more things:
    Radio tuner with dedicated app like voice memos and compass and iTunes tagging
    NFC/RFID capability
    Variety of colors for encasing or accents/trim/bezel and/or Product Red model

June/July 2011- iPhone 3GX
    Same encasing as 3G/S/+
    Same processor/RAM/graphics as 3GS/+
    32, 64, 128 GB models @ 99/199/299 3GS+ discontinued
    7 MP camera, no flash/zoom
    21Mbps 3G support

TV tuner with dedicated app like voice memos and compass and iTunes tagging
    FM transmitter

June/July 2012- iPhone 4G
    Completely new design
    Ultra-thin
    Improved processor/RAM/graphics
    Front-facing camera
    Stereo speakers
    10+MP camera with flash
    4G network support

Potential one more thing:
    LED indicator integrated into home button or sleep/wake button

2. Stephenw macrumors newbie

3. Appdict macrumors regular

4. Smrtphoneaddict macrumors member

I definitely think the next iPhone will have an OLED display, 802.11 N, and at least a 5 megapixel auto focus camera.

5. shk718 macrumors 6502a

i wouldn't be too sure about oled - from what i hear you can't see them well in direct sun light.

6. Synthetickiller macrumors regular

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/06/iphone-wireless-charger-takes-swipe-at-pre-touchstone/

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/13/korean-bmw-7-series-now-features-wireless-charger-for-samsung-t/

I remember reading articles generally about the technology, but can't find the original article at a moments notice.

I wouldn't EVER use wireless power, unless I wanted cancer, but that's another issue entirely.

As for the USB 3.0, you think apple would allow for something non-proprietary AND introduce and optical route into the phone? I'm guessing never.

7. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

OLED would not be good until they can find a way of making it readable in direct sunlight, until then it will remain LCD.

8. philgilder macrumors 68000

but you're happy being in a world full of radio waves of thousands of frequencies (incl mobile networks, wifi, bluetooth, fm, microwaves etc etc) whilst knowing that induction (wireless) charging is only effective over a few centimeters. ok...

by the way, do you have an electric toothbrush? they use the exact same wireless charging tech found in the palm pre (and joeshell383's list)

9. Synthetickiller macrumors regular

Thanks for the flame. :D

No, I'm not happy with the long term effects of wifi, radio, etc.

The original article I read concerning wireless charging tech discussed a radius of 5 feet. While this is much worse than both of the products I discussed in the above post, it'll catch on since people can find themselves too lazy to simply plug in a phone instead of tossing it in an area. It'll become a trend once its affordable, imo, and I'm not for it.

I don't have an electric tooth brush, but thanks for asking. ;)

10. funrush macrumors regular

June/July 2010- iPhone 3GS+ (no way we can tell, could be)
    Same encasing as 3G/S (I think there will be a new enclosure, matte I hope))
    Same processor/RAM/graphics as 3GS (no, faster chips)
    16, 32, 64 GB models @ 99/199/299 3G and 3GS discontinued (I think so)
    5 MP camera, no flash/zoom (could be)
    OLED display (I don't think so because of outside(sun) preformance)
    Bluetooth 3.0 (no, why? edit: that would be cool)
    USB 3.0 (no why, 3.0 will be more expensive and 3.0 on Mac's will be backwards compatibe)
    N Wi-Fi (why? Battery-killing-wifi is not really Apple)
    Improved battery (I think so too)
    Wireless charging capability built-in every phone (charging dock sold separately for $99) (nope, Palm's idea)
    14Mbps 3G support (I think they wait another year)

Radio tuner with dedicated app like voice memos and compass and iTunes tagging (hmmm... who listens to radio these day's :p)
    NFC/RFID capability (would be awsome!! So you can use your iPhone as passport/creditcard)
    Variety of colors for encasing or accents/trim/bezel and/or Product Red model (I don't think so)

'always on' dual backlight notification screen behind lcd.

(http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...dual-backlight-iphone-notification-patent.ars)

11. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

yea i cant wait for 802.11N WiFi!!!!!

idk if the cam will increase by that much each year... it took 2 years to go from 2MP to 3MP.

12. philgilder macrumors 68000

didn't mean to flame as such :) its just the way i see it, there is so much floating around us, that there is no point trying to get away from it, especially as its only going to get worse.

also, the majority of waves are non-ionizing, and therefore cannot cause cancer

13. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Too Soon.

This is pointless speculation, sorry.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It'll have an inkjet printer
    Be able to toast bread
    Drive my car for me
    Give me free money
    Serve as a tricorder
    Turn back time

15. funrush macrumors regular

Fight Bruce Willis
    Get under aged people liquor (This one is doubtful, Apple like legal things. I don't need it anyways, nevermind this one…)
    Run Adobe CS4
    Cherry Coke dispenser (6 Ltr.)
    Invisible mode
    Teleport capabilities, so you can beam it to wherever you are. With your mind.

16. Synthetickiller macrumors regular

GOD MODE!

17. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

18. funrush macrumors regular

Ho ho… It's just the 2010 iPhone, let's not go unrealistic.

19. Appdict macrumors regular

If the iPhone were to get a matte casing, I'd probably stick with a 3GS. I love Apple's design for the 3G "era." Now, it could have been compiled with more effort then it has been. But yes, it is way too early for speculation on the phone that had just been refreshed two weeks ago. (Maybe a week?) :rolleyes:

20. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I tend to agree that the 2010 iPhone will not be the dual core Jesus phone people are predicting but instead another evolution of the 3GS. Better camera with flash and better video (perhaps even front facing for video conference), more storage capacity (64gb), perhaps an assortment of case colors and, N WiFi, Bluetooth 3.0 and an OS upgrade. JMO of course.

21. funrush macrumors regular

Meeeeeh, it would be in such nice contrast with the shiny screen. I would love a matte back, preferably metal, but that will probably not work with the 3G radio.

22. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Next iPhone will have the Arm Cortex A9 multi-core processor. They said way back in 07 there'd be multi-core phones by the end of 09 and they'd run rampant by 2010. They reiterated that statement just after WWDC.

http://www.newlc.com/en/arm-unveils-cortex-a9-processors-scalable-performance-and-low-power-designs

Also, the new processors are capable of 1080p video as seen by TI's OMAP 4

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/02/17/tis-omap-4-bringing-1080p-support-to-smartphones-and-mids/

Not to mention that the A9 uses less power on average since it has 45nm chips instead of the A8's old 65nm chips.

So not only will we see a HUGE boost in performance but also more features like HD videos, and significantly improved games next cycle!:D

23. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

24. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

I think its quite possible that the 2010 iPhone could offer:

Front facing camera
    5MP camera
    64GB Memory
    720p HD Video
    Wireless N
    Improved Sound (Possibly stereo)
    Possible modified body with more color options
    Better Battery
    Apple app providing iPhone to iPhone isp service (Skype for iphones only type of thing)

:rolleyes::apple:

25. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I think we will see a new design as well. 3GS+ just sounds drawn out.

Long shot at LTE or 4g. Support for other carriers is also a possibility (i.e. Verizon if they can iron out the whole iTunes vs VCast).

We'll have to see how Apple handles the whole OLED thing. Sure it's difficult outdoors, but I wouldn't mind turning my back to sun in order to get a few extra hours out of the battery. :D

I think a better camera is just about given. The 3GS is alright, but I think we all expected a little more out of Apple. They'll get it right this time around.

I can only imagine the features Apple is cooking up right now for the new iPhone.