Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sofaking30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
With apple being known to embed everything, why don't they embed say, 10GB of SSD flash chips on the logic board (or make a small board that connects to logic board, so that when it fries, the flash board could be saved) to supplement a mechanical-moving HDD? Snow Leopard takes less than 5GB, with apple pushing for lower footprint by the day. Then you would have another 5GB for essential applications, ie. photoshop, office, iworks, etc. on the boot drive.

Remove the bulky optical drive to free up space for better cooling, larger logic board with more chips, etc. Use optical drive sharing feature that the Air has, and possibly embed a super drive to the ACD and promote it together as a bundle..

Also, I think apple is purposely shafting new MBP owners on 1.5gb SATA, so enthusiast users won't make SSD swapping a popular thing.

thoughts?

Lounge Deluxe

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Amsterdam
Apple could easily offer a BTO option to replace the optical drive for a hard drive or SSD, but something important must keep them from it.

Ashhong

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
you want a 10gb laptop?

Apple could easily offer a BTO option to replace the optical drive for a hard drive or SSD, but something important must keep them from it.

unless im wrong, i dont think thats wat he means. hes describing a laptop with iphone style memory/tech.

sofaking30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
you want a 10gb laptop?

unless im wrong, i dont think thats wat he means. hes describing a laptop with iphone style memory/tech.

10GB embedded SSD boot drive + 500GB HDD. yes, iphone memory technology, but with faster "SSD speed" chips

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
If you were keen, you could just do it yourself…
I almost did it once (except with a CF card) but the dead superdrive was too hard to get out.

Taking the drive out would cause quite a stir.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.