Speculation: iPhone Not Just Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tnick777, Oct 29, 2010.

1. tnick777 macrumors regular

tnick777

First off-- bare with me
    Second off -- this DOES make sense :p

We've all heard the vicious CDMA iPhone rumors that point to Verizon being the favorite candidate for the first non-AT&T iPhone.

However some of Verizon's comments have made it seem as if iPhone isn't going to Verizon any time soon...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100923/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_verizon_iphone

Now usually companies would be coy if they were going to get the iPhone but didn't want to reveal it... But here Seidenberg bluntly states that Verizon doesn't need the iPhone, and in fact will wait until Apple can make the iPhone work with their LTE network that has yet to be deployed to a market that anybody would be interested in.

Who does that leave for the CDMA phone? Well... Actually... Everybody

According to a very revealing article here, it basically says that (1) the iPhone will be GSM/CDMA based which means it probably would work on all networks and (2) the new iPad for Verizon is a bundled iPad WiFi with Verizon's Hot Spot...

This leaves my favorite part of this story... Sprint has been openly publicizing it's ability to make Apple products better.

Earlier this year there was a commercial where they made the iPhone 4G, and now they are taking on the iPad by offering a case that has a 4G hotspot pocket and a slot that the iPad perfectly fits... Which can be seen here.

And contrary to Seidenberg's comments, Sprint's CEO Hesse has sidestepped any comments quite nimbly.. Offering quotes like

Maybe there's more behind the scenes that we don't know about? Maybe Sprint approached Apple, and unsure about their devotion to the iPhone, asked Sprint to "prove themselves" :p by showing how their products would benefit on the network.

Just food for thought, some wishful thinking too ;)

2. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Nothing really new here, rumors have circulated for quite some time about a CDMA capable iPhone that could be offered by companies other than Verizon.

If you check the articles on our host website you will find an article of a rumor that Apple may have plans to do away with the SIM chip and replace it with a chip that will allow the phone to be activated by any provider so it could be sold by Sprint or T-Mobile or anyone else.

There was also an article on our host site about a GMA/CDMA chip that again would be activated by the provider.

With the exclusive contract between Apple and AT&T coming to a definite end in the near future you will hear many other such rumors.

3. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

If I were to guess, I would say that Verizon would share exclusivity with AT&T for about a year and then iOS phones would be made available to all carriers after that.

Apple just wants to keep up with Android, which means they need to be on the biggest two carriers. Sprint and T-mobile are small frys in comparison to AT&T and Verizon, so I doubt there is much urgency in putting the iphone on those networks.

After all, Verizon does have exclusivity on half the high-end Android phones out there... so they are the primary source of the threat of Android's growth.

Verizon, however, is very eager to maintain a competitive advantage over Sprint, who has been poaching more customers from them than normal this past year.

I wouldn't put it past them to throw some money Apple's way to keep the iPhone on AT&T and Verizon for at least a year.

4. moneyman118 macrumors 6502

The CEO of Sprint sounds like he has been coached by Apples PR rep. He's replies sound just like the ones frmo Steve and co when questioned about anything which is not announced. Sprint iPhone could be in the works if we're basising it off of quotes only! Plus Android and Verizon took huge shots at Apple and the iPhone early on in its release. Steve and Co. dont like people who bad mouth them and often hold grudges.

5. thetexan macrumors 6502a

I too wouldn't be surprised with a Sprint iPhone. Their network is just as good as AT&T's if not better, Sprint is apparently in the best position spectrum wise, and their network is vastly underutilized. They have had their problems in the past but their new CEO is a huge improvement over their previous one. They'd be more than happy to appease Apple with the little things such as no logo placement on the phone, letting Apple do all of the hardware support, and so forth.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

This has all be discussed in other threads. Nothing new here.

7. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

I am tired of hearing "Verizon" & iPhone together in one sentence.

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You're really gonna hate life when one rolls out then. :p

9. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I think an iPhone on Sprint would be awesome. Honestly though I can't see them getting it. Apple making both a WiMax and LTE model to function with 4G internet is too much to hope for. I hope I'm wrong.

10. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Why should he really hate life?

I guess the correct statement would be all of the people, including you, are finally going to start enjoying life once a Verizon iPhone comes out...

which is sad...

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Sprint is talking LTE. Word is Apple is holding off on LTE. Perhaps by the time Apple rolls out an LTE iPhone, Sprint will be getting LTE going.

And you get this information from where? Have you even read the Fortune story?

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm still confused about what you want me to bare.

13. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Oh no I won't. I know your post was sarcastic (i hope it was) but I'm just tired of hearing all of this Verizon iPhone business. I hope it comes out soon so people would shut up about it.

14. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Really? Now I wonder if they just regretted using WiMax in the first place or this was their plan all along. I'm also curious as to what will happen to their current 4G devices. I can't imagine the EVO/other new phone being compatible with LTE.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

They don't seem to completely regret it as they are continuing their rollout from what I've seen. But I think they did it as a strategic decision to lure subscribers from the other carriers by having the first 4G network. But the fact that they are divesting from Clear and talking LTE really sounds like they realize they bet on the wrong horse.

Edit.....nevermind all that...hahaha

http://gigaom.com/2010/10/29/sprint-ceo-dan-hesse-on-clearwire-lte-wimax/

16. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Too bad... Maybe it's best for them. They'll have one of the best 4G networks within a couple of years although it'll be completely different technology. It's too much to hope for Apple to add the iPhone to Sprint.

17. moneyman118 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Intel, hence the power pc.

18. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

There are other threads, forums and web sites. I hardly think it's anyone's problem but your own if you're tired of reading about it. If you can't be bothered to put in a little effort to find something you actually like, try exercising a little self-restraint and don't click on the links you don't like.

Per the matter at hand, I'm all for the iPhone going to as many carriers as want to carry it. Competition is always good and either AT&T gets it's act together or it shrivels and turns back into the second rate carrier it had been at one time. At one time I've had Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile phones at home and they all have excellent coverage, only AT&T sucks so hard I was forced to buy a repeater. Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Nextel, Boost Mobile, Uncle Joe's Cellular and Tire Rotation Service, whatever...if they can sell a phone, they should get the iPhone. I'd also think Apple is fairly tired of having to drum up excuses for a phone with so-so reception on a second rate carrier.

19. robby001 macrumors member

It kind of seems like the I phone will be out for verizon since verizon just released the Ipad on there network.