Speculation: New iPhone still $399 at the Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chiggs, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Chiggs macrumors member

This is pure speculation but I suspect that the new 8 Gig 3G iPhone will still cost $399 when purchased at the Apple Store. I believe that when a user activates it with AT&T they will get a $200 rebate/credit bringing their cost to the $199 as stated by Steve Jobs.

This way, people purchasing an iPhone to unlock and use with other carriers will pay $399 and Apple gets the extra $200 they would have received from AT&T under the previous revenue sharing agreement.

I believe that Apple has basically traded off the revenue sharing agreement with AT&T and allowed AT&T to basically offer a $200 rebate up front on the iPhone.

Otherwise, Apple has traded $399 up front + $10 or so per month for $199 up front and nothing moving forward. I don't buy it...

Most people will still get the phone for $199 - with all these new features, it makes less and less sense to me to have a Phone without the full data plan.

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

And that would be wrong...nothing we know points to that, and everything points away from that.

3. Pantocrator macrumors member

No. Jobs said that it would not be allowed to be priced above 200 USD anywhere... I would assume that includes apple.com

4. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

amazing reply. simple. true. and funny.