Speculation: New Macbook Pros to go 16:9?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alanlindsay, Oct 30, 2009.

1. alanlindsay macrumors member

Seeing as the iMacs have now gone to 16:9, anyone think the MBPs will go this way too? HP envy has a pretty sweet 1080p 15.6in LED screen which would be awesome in the MBP.

On the other hand, the relatively new 24in LED ACD is 16:10 which suggests Apple has some commitment to that aspect ratio. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple tried to copy their old three model ACD lineup. i.e the old (20in,23in,30in) will become (21.5in, ??in, 27in) or (21.5in, 27in, ??in).

People with an iMac would probably like to have a second screen with the same dimensions to go side by side with their main comp.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I think this is likely the next move for the whole MacBook Pro line (with MacBook following), but you have to consider, changing the aspect ratio with make the notebooks wider and change their shape slightly. This may not matter, because it's not alot. I am worried that Apple is going to start super-increasing their screen resolutions on these notebooks to the point that you can't read anything on the screen (like they did with the 17" MacBook Pro)

4. akm3 macrumors 68020

The 17" is perfect, you can read things on the screen. At least if you have good eyesight. Ctrl-zoom if you don't or get glasses or laser surgery.

Now, 1920x1080 on a 15"? That is pushing it, but I'd still buy it.

5. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

6. alanlindsay thread starter macrumors member

If you don't like the high res you can switch to a lower one with no image degradation right? If that's true then everyone gets what the want.

7. splitpea macrumors 6502a

16:9 makes sense on a consumer line where the machine is going to be used to *play* video, but on a pro line, customer are more likely to be editing video (in which case you need room for toolbars) or working on photos / print media (closer to 4:3 than even 16:10), or coding (in which case vertical space is at a premium). And when you increase the ratio of width to height, you actually lose total pixels at the same diagonal size.

16:10 notebooks were bad enough. 16:9 would be a dealbreaker for me, and I can't be the only one.

8. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Apple's tendency here is to increase the screen resolution (increasing bit depth and making everything on the screen ultra-tiny), while they move to the 16:9 aspect ratio. Look at the 27" iMac. Great in concept but they make the resolution that of a 30" display, packing everything in and making it difficult to operate at a normal viewing distance.

9. Dizzler macrumors regular

I'm with you, splitpea. I still love my old PowerBook G4 because there is more vertical screen real estate. It makes viewing web pages much easier. There is always so much advertising crap at the top of web pages that you have to scroll just to get down to the first headline.

10. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Wouldn't it be nice if Apple actually made a 1600x1200 4:3 notebook? I think that's what we all want. a 19" notebook that isn't widescreen.

11. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Sounds seriously unwieldy. You'd need a luggage cart to tote that thing around. How about 15" at 1400x1050?

12. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

How about a 17" at 1280x1024? Everything would be nice and easy to see, plus you would have 4:3 at that res.