Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

o0samotech0o

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Basically I just want to have your ideas on what you think will be included in the next generation of MacBook Pros in terms of hardware and design. Any ideas?

Will there be a new case design?
Will there be Ivy Bridge Processors?
Will they be Quad Core?

:)

Iphone3gs

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
No new design-as design is still well better then any laptop in the market.

A spec bump

Same price point

Something new maybe to stand out from older macs

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
No new design-as design is still well better then any laptop in the market.

A spec bump

Same price point

Something new maybe to stand out from older macs

Personally MBP received their BIG updates now with the quad core processors and thunderbolt. I would say not the next update but the one after that should bring something totally new. The next update which should be in about 4-6 months will just be a faster ghz and possibly larger hard drive.

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
this thread is pointless.

we wont know until they are released next year.

we speculated for the iphone 4s, and what did we get? all dissapointment.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
It will follow in the footsteps -- ugh! -- of the mba. No superdrive and optional ssd. Apple's dumping the sd for the cloud in its laptop line and ssd are coming down in price. It will be a tad lighter and thinner. But what do i know.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
It will follow in the footsteps -- ugh! -- of the mba. No superdrive and optional ssd. Apple's dumping the sd for the cloud in its laptop line and ssd are coming down in price. It will be a tad lighter and thinner. But what do i know.

They will have to pry the superdrive from my cold dead fingers.
The cloud isn't practical where you have limited and slow internet, which is where a fair percentage of the U.S. is.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
  • All new design, that mimics the MacBook Air. Slightly thicker than the Air near the hinge to accommodate two fans. As thin as the Air at the other end.
  • No more glass. The screen will be a silver bezel, and like the Air, it'll have no glass over it. Matte option will be introduced to the 13".
  • High resolution standard across all models.
  • No more optical drive.
  • Separate SSD with the OS on it, in addition to HDD storage or optional SSD.
  • 10 to 12 hour battery on the 15" and 17" versions due to the space saved from optical drive
  • All models to go to 16:9 aspect ratios. 13", 15" and 17" may well become 14", 16" and 18", or 12.5" etc..
  • Usual CPU, GPU upgrades. 8GB RAM standard on high end 13", and standard on all 15" and 17" models. Optional 16GB RAM on high end 15" and 17".
  • Discrete graphics on the 13" high end version.

psykick5

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
  • All new design, that mimics the MacBook Air. Slightly thicker than the Air near the hinge to accommodate two fans. As thin as the Air at the other end.
  • No more glass. The screen will be a silver bezel, and like the Air, it'll have no glass over it. Matte option will be introduced to the 13".
  • No more optical drive.
  • 10 to 12 hour battery on the 15" and 17" versions due to the space saved from optical drive
  • All models to go to 16:9 aspect ratios. 13", 15" and 17" may well become 14", 16" and 18", or 12.5" etc..
  • Usual CPU, GPU upgrades. 8GB RAM standard on high end 13", and standard on all 15" and 17" models. Optional 16GB RAM on high end 15" and 17".

Two things... I hope it's not as thin as the Air, that's too thin IMHO. Also... I would love room for two hard drives in there :D

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
  • No more optical drive.

Please pass the doobie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.