Speculation on reason behind delayed iPhone and early iPad releases.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sergey19, Aug 14, 2011.

?

How correct am I?

1. Definitely!

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Maybe, it's possible.

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Probably not but who knows.

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  4. No, definitely wrong!

24 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. sergey19 macrumors member

This is completely speculation but I believe it's something to think about/consider.
    It seems like Apple is gearing up to release their new iPods, iPhones and possibly iPads all in the coming months. All three have to do with iOS (iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch). It seems odd that Apple, a company that prefers to space out major releases would consider holding so many events and major releases all at approximately the same time.

I was reading the forums and someone threw out the possibility of Apple switching away from the dock connector in favor of something newer, thinner and possibly faster and that is why they want to release all of them at the same time. This seems like a possibility (especially with thunderbolt out).

However, I thought what if Apple wants to build in some kind of a technology, related to iOS, that will make the three interact better with each other. How about NFC? It would make sense, I mean payment on the iPhone and exchange of data between the three different devices.

I mean imagine you are on a web page (reading an article) on your iPad and decide to continue reading it on your iPhone, what if you could bring up/touch your iPhone to your iPad and it would automatically send the webpage from one to the other (kind of like the exchange of data on I believe it is WebOS, I am not completely sure).

It would make sense and it would help with taking some of the load off of iCloud because if this doesn't happen then you would add the page to your reading list and through iCloud it would be added on your other iOS device.

This is just speculation but it wouldn't be too surprising if this is intact true (I mean Apple has been trying to make all your Apple devices work better together recently, especially with the release of iCloud).

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I highly, highly doubt any of those is the reason the iPhone release is later than usual.

1) I don't think they will switch to thunderbolt when they make so much off the 30 pin connector
    2) As you've said, just add a page to your reading list. no need for gimmicky things like touching devices together to transfer data.
    3) I think it's based on iOS 5 not being ready yet.

EDIT:
    Which major releases are these? The ones you speculated earlier? Your whole post is based on an assumption that all these devices will be refreshed. The iPad 3 will most likely only be out next year.

3. sergey19 thread starter macrumors member

I understand what you are saying and honestly I doubt that what I am saying is completely true but I just had an interesting thought and wanted to share it, I mean who knows!

Plus this would be faster than reading list and you could share stuff (pictures, articles, videos, etc.) with friends. I mean it could be kind of cool.
    And I mean I don't know if this could be possible but could they introduce some kind of a new dock connector that is backwards compatible (like Mini Display Port and Thunderbolt) but is at the same time much faster, I doubt it but again who knows.

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Possibly, but I strongly doubt it. Why not just tweet the link, or email it to a friend. It's kind of a solution to a problem that isn't there.

5. Nicolas4ever, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

i think they prepare something big for the iOSDevices line.Im sure that the delay of the iPhone isn't just an overheating of the A5

6. sergey19 thread starter macrumors member

Even if the iPad is not refreshed (which I understand is very likely) there is still the iPhone 5, released together with iOS 5 so they have to preview some of the new hidden features in the beta versions that have not been announced yet (if they are releasing them which seems likely). For example, the rumored/found voice features.

PLUS, the brand new iPods.

This seems like 2 very big events. I mean they could combine them but I doubt it.

7. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

I feel like with wireless sync coming out, I don't think Apple is too worried about the current 30 pin dock changing

8. sergey19 thread starter macrumors member

Just the same way that AirDrop is a solution to a problem not really there. Don't you think?

----------

I realized that after posting.

I doubt that they will do anything with the 30 pin dock connector but I think something big is released that has to do with all 3 sets of devices.

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

But that's file transfer. It's harder to tweet or email a 3GB file than it is to tweet/email a URL.

10. sergey19 thread starter macrumors member

True.
    But at the same time, I mean imagine you took a good picture with your iPhone and want to share it with a friend next to you (maybe a group picture) what if you could just bump your two iPhones together to share it. It would be cheaper since you don't have to email it over 3G, better for carriers, and faster for you.

Or imagine an HD video that you took with your iPhone and you want to share.

----------

Agree with you.

11. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Yeah, new WebOS devices do the exact same thing you described

12. sergey19 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I am aware of that. I mean Apple kind of copied the whole "new" notification tray from Android I mean they could copy this from WebOS.

13. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

And the gesture bar.
    That thing is godly

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Who says the iPhone is delayed?
    Who says the next iPad is early?

15. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

No one in the know. ;)

16. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

perhaps something to do with the iCloud function they're pushing (fortunate pun activated) :D

17. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Or maybe they're changing the entire release pattern. Both iPod and iPhone in the fall because of the product's similarities rather than having two events for them. The touch is a great device that's selling very very well so since it runs iOS 5 too, why not just announce two iOS devices at the same time?

iPad? Not too sure about that because it's in a different type of tech category.

18. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

it would be cool to have all the iOS devices in one event but i doubt it

19. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

It's almost all of them. Haha. I think it's because the iPad is in its category of its own. Tablet domination!

20. sergey19 thread starter macrumors member

Lets see...

June 2007- Original iPhone
    July 2008- iPhone 3G
    June 2009- iPhone 3GS
    June 2010- iPhone 4
    June/July 2011- NOTHING

Hmm.... the iPhone 5 sure seems delayed when compared to the usual release cycle.

And if the next iPad is in fact released this fall it would be early (as opposed to being released in March).

21. blubyu macrumors member

How can something be delayed if it hasn't been announced yet?

22. Merkie macrumors 68020

Apple simply wants to change the cycle. They probably feel an autumn release is better than a summer release.

23. noatonement macrumors member

Not 100% sure if what your talking about is the same thing that i'm thinking...but they do have an app called "Bump" that lets you share apps, pictures, and you can text through it.

http://bu.mp/

24. sergey19 thread starter macrumors member

I mean off from the usual release cycle.

----------

Yeah I've heard of bump and this is sort of what I'm talking about but I'm just saying it would be more efficient with NFC.

25. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Definitely wrong, given there is no early iPad release...people will believe anything...