Speculation on when Macbooks will be updated next?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aureliusroot, Jan 7, 2009.

  1. aureliusroot macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    Location:
    Winston-Salem, NC
    #1
    Forgive me if I'm pressing a topic that is so speculative right now that it's not worth thinking about, but I am wondering when you think the next major updates to the Macbooks and Macbook Pros will be? I'm talking new Intel chipset, etc? I am in the market for an upgrade, but I don't want to purchase one of these computers until their specs have been boosted a little, especially since I have heard that the new Intel chipsets will be far superior to the current ones. I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
     
  2. Buskape macrumors 6502

    Buskape

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    NGC 4889
    #2
    I'll say somewhere around September 2009, minor spec update. Nothing more.
     
  3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #3
    Uh, no. There will be a speed bump in the summer and Nehalem in the winter or in January 2010.
     
  4. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2008
    #4
    I was surprised that they have not dropped the whitebook yet for the aluminum version

    They have to run out of them sooner or later.
     
  5. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2008
    #5

    Nehalem in Winter of '09 or January '10? I'm willing to wait. I thought it might take even longer for Nehalem to be in Apple Macbooks. Collect more gift cards and save more money. Purchase a MBP with Nehalem and a 3rd generation iPod Touch. I'm excited!!!
     
  6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #6
    And when that happens it will be interesting to see if Apple alters its pricing model as a result... ;)
     
  7. aureliusroot thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    Location:
    Winston-Salem, NC
    #7
    I would think that they would try to drop the price of the lowest-end aluminum macbooks to that $999 price point when they drop the white macbooks sometime prob. late spring (May?). This would prob. coincide with the first update to the line. I agree that it is worth waiting for the Nehalem update in the winter though. That's probably what I'll end up doing, though I wish I could just grab one now.
     
  8. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

    LSUtigers03

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2008
    #8
    Forgive my ignorance but what is the Nehalem update and why is it worth waiting for?
     
  9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #9
  10. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2008
    #10

    I'm not the most computer savy person but I believe that Snow Leopard will benefit the most with a Nehalem Processor. So pretty much Snow Leopard gets released in the summer and Nehalem might be released in the Winter. I would guess that would be the best time to buy a Macbook Pro, if you can wait that long.
     
  11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #11
    That's what I'm thinking as well, but who knows with Apple - we'll just have to wait and see...
     
  12. aureliusroot thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    Location:
    Winston-Salem, NC
    #12
    Patience....

    I guess we'll just have to be patient, as hard as that is. My powerbook is on it's last leg, in fact it probably doesn't have legs anymore. So I guess I'll just wait it out and try to accumulate as much cash as I can till then. Anyone else in the same boat?
     
  13. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2008
    #13

    I'm kind've in the same boat. I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 that I bought a couple years ago. I thought it was dead a couple months ago with a virus but I decided that I wanted to wait on a Macbook Pro so I shelled out $100 to clear the virus. Well, the Inspiron isn't perfect but it's now usable. The battery is dead on it as well. I'm currently collecting gift cards to the Apple Store (have $800 right now) from Birthdays and Christmas, and I'm saving my money. As long as my Dell gets me by, I'll wait until Nehalem. Besides, I'll have more gift cards and money saved by then. With Nehalem, Snow Leopard, and update revisions like an anti-glare option, possibly better battery and 3rd generation iPod Touch in the future, I am willing to wait on all of that because I think it will be well worth it. I just hope my Dell just gets me by another year!
     
  14. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2008
    #14
    was thinking the same thing
     
  15. aureliusroot thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    Location:
    Winston-Salem, NC
    #15
    I'm glad I have at least someone else who is thinking the same thing. It pains me not to have a mac right now, but I'm willing to wait it out...at least I hope I am. I think you're definitely right though, with all those updates in the future I can't see why not. $800 in gift cards is awesome btw. I only wish I could say that I was in the same boat there.
     
  16. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2008
    #16

    Yeah, I figure if I wait it out, my birthday is in October so by January next year, I would hope to have over $1400 in Gift Cards...They are all that I ask for! I am planning on spending a lot of money though. Macbook Pro, Logic Studio, Audioengine A5 speakers, iPod Touch 3rd gen...so I'll reward myself for waiting so long!

    If you decide you can't wait that long, don't forget that you could probably just buy Snow Leopard when it comes out for $129 and install it yourself. They'll also probably revise the Macbooks in early summer as well...Just in case you can't hold out that long!
     
  17. shady825 macrumors 68000

    shady825

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    Location:
    Area 51
    #17
    You guys who are 'waiting' are crazy! (no offense)
    If you wait, who knows how long it could be. New MacBooks JUST came out!
    Something bigger and better is always on its way. Thats technology..
    Plus you guys make it sound like its gonna be the last Mac you ever buy. I got the aluminum one at its launch date and I know already I will buy another Mac in the future.
    Point being, I just think its silly to wait. If you need the computer now then get it. If you just WANT one right now, then get it.. I dont care how you wanna look at it but whatever you buy will become outdated. So why waste your time waiting when you could be enjoying your purchase right now.
     
  18. dnguyen macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2008
    #18
    i agree, if you need/can afford a new computer get it. i can understand waiting if it's only a few months away before an update, but they just recently released this macbooks so there's no update anytime soon.
     
  19. aureliusroot thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    Location:
    Winston-Salem, NC
    #19
    I definitely understand your reasoning. I just feel like buying a product at its inception, rather than midway through the product cycle. Also, I tend to hold onto my computers for a good while. My powerbook has been around now for over 5 years, so I'm not the kind who would probably trade in right away. I've weathered new releases for those past 5 years and I don't want to just give in and purchase a mac that will be updated in the next few months. I have a pc laptop that is holding me over until then. So it's not too pressing. If they updated in the summer to the new chipset I would probably go ahead and update, but it seems that it's going to probably be winter.
     

Share This Page