Speculations... 32GB and more colors on the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulinhadrp, Jul 8, 2008.

1. paulinhadrp macrumors member

So, please don't kill me, but I have sold my iPhone a week before WWDC and been using a crappy phone while I wait for the 3G version. However, I think I am getting cold feet in buying it on Friday for two reasons:
    1. I have a feeling that Apple might drop a 32GB version in a few months
    2. Now that the back is made of plastic, it would make sense that they would start making different-colored iPhones in the near future (yes, I'm hoping for a Pink one)...

So, as realistic as one can be, but still merely speculating, when would you guys guess they would make any of the above improvements? Would it be worth holding off (even though while using the crappy phone I am REALLY missing my iPhone, but I know I'm not going to die if I don't get the new one right away)??

Give me your opinions...

2. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    I was looking for a silver 32GB unit by Christmas to match my MacBook Air!

3. theotherrogue macrumors regular

As soon as 32GB flash memory from Samsung becomes more affordable, you can count on it. But who knows when that will be.

4. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

you could also say that the old iphone could have come in different colors -- apple colors their ipod nanos/touches with anodized aluminum.

i don't expect any colors other than MAYBE a product(red) phone.

5. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

They won't upgrade to 32Gb until the iPod touch has 64Gb, which most likely won't happen until MSFW '09, if then. Then again, they could match the iPhone's storage with the iPod touch, but that still wouldn't happen until September, so I suggest buying this great product now.

I can't see Apple making colored plastic iPhones, only (maybe) a Product (RED) version.

6. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

I really wish they'd make a pink one. That would be sweet.

7. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

i bet they come out with a product red version at the same time of the 32gb just in time for the holidays

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Since they're giving us poo poo plastic, the least they could do is offer an array of colors. I don't really consider black and white "colors" anyway.

One option in the future could be user-replacable backs. This used to be (maybe still is) highly common, especially if you ever saw any mall kiosks. I had an old Nokia phone that you could pop the cover off and replace with one of many covers. If the iPhone 3G's back is all that is different between models, this could be semi-easily done.

I sure would like a red option by the time they drop enough memory in there for me to upgrade. I don't want to be stuck with that bigger 3G bill without a decent storage improvement. If you go by Apple's previous rate of increase, they should hit 32GB in a couple of months and then jack it up to 64GB next year. Woot. But that's highly unscientific.

And if any fool tries to start telling me how you don't need 64GB on a phone, I'm gonna take my terabyte of tv shows and movies and throw it at said fool! I pity him!

9. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

im betting colorware will come out with all there usual colors. though they just coat the backing

10. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Somewhere around October 2008 - January 2009.

11. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

my advice to you
    and everyone who is upset about not having 32gb

ask yourself if you really NEED 32gb
    or if your just obsessed with having the "best version"

thats how I am
    im fine with just 8. I rotate my movies and only put on music I listen to
    and I have like 2gb free
    but when the 16 came out, I was upset. but then i realized i just wanted to be on top, and didnt need 16

maybe you do need 32
    but then again, maybe you dont

12. gibbz macrumors 68030

Watch out that you don't come down with the "I can't buy because they might make it better in the future" syndrome.

Technology will always be updated and improved. If at any time (especially right at a new product launch) you decide that a device is worth the money, then buy it and use the heck out of it. I mean, what if they announce a 32GB version, are you then going to get cold feet thinking "Boy, What if they come out with a 64GB?" It can be a nasty cycle.

I say if it is worthwhile to you, then get the iPhone 3G at launch.

13. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Look for a 32GB either around Christmas or January for an extra $100. $399. Makes sense to me to keep the 8GB at the 199 price point but also to add the 32GB for extra profit with a bump in price.

14. paulinhadrp thread starter macrumors member

Yeah... I was thinking about Colorware too, but they are so ridiculously expensive! I ran an estimate at their site and it added up to $150 just to color a $199 or $299 device?
    Hmm.. hopefully some third-party company can come out with something to add some color to the iPhone.

15. paulinhadrp thread starter macrumors member

The only reason for me to want a 32GB version is quite simple. I would really like for the iPhone to serve me just like the ad says "A phone, an iPod and Internet browser all-in-one", so I could just get rid of my iPod and carry all of my music, contacts, etc, etc, in one device in my pocket, just as proposed. I have more than 15GB of music on my computer (video really is not my focus, since I hardly ever watch any movies or video-clips on my iPhone other than casual You-Tube videos), and that would leave me no space left for installing applications. Yeah, I there are probably a thousand songs I hardly ever hear in that bunch, but I really like having my library with me just in case I feel like listening to "that" one song!

16. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

I want the 16 for a few reasons.

• I want the best
    • In case I go App crazy with games and such
    • So I can store all my music plus a few movies and still have room

17. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

we should join forces and make a thread about price deduction and colour\flash drive changes!

18. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

if they do increase the storage, and they do increase the price, then that means you would have to pay the unsubsidized price if it comes out in less than two years, which it will. i believe the current 16gb is $699 unsubsidized, so the 32gb would be around $799. so i would think long and hard before purchasing now. as for a date, probably around mid november. for me, 16gb is plenty. i don't have a whole lot of music, but lots of tv shows that i can swap in and out. i hope the next version of the iphone has the same upgrade subsidy options given to existing iPhone users. that and a $99 price point, lol. :D

19. paulinhadrp thread starter macrumors member

That is exactly what I was worrying about... I really want to get it on Friday, however, I know that if a 32GB version or a pink version show up, I will be VERY tempted to buy, unless AT&T doesn't allow me to pay the subsidized price (which I really think they won't, and there is no way in hell I would pay an unsubsidized price just a few months later just because of color or more memory... 32 GB would make my life simpler, but it is definitely not worth $799... I will carry my 60GB old iPod classic, thanks).

However, I am really missing the easiness the iPhone used to bring to my life... my personal and work e-mail accounts on the go, the maps app (that I seemed to use more than I thought I did, and now constantly screw myself over by not remembering to print out maps when I go places... "ooops, where is my iPhone?"), and the internet browsing that I used so much all the time. So yeah... I'm really leaning towards buying the 3G phone this Friday, but I feel I will be pissed in a few months... But just like someone stated earlier in this thread, if we always waited for what could come next, we would never buy anything and just be waiting...

20. MojoWill macrumors 6502

no no no no no no no

why can't anybody be happy with what they got!

21. paulinhadrp thread starter macrumors member

No, I am not happy with whatever Apple throws at me just because it is an Apple product and is amazing.

And yes, I'd be happy to get a 16GB iPhone on Friday, but I would be completely satisfied with a 32GB model, since it would fit my needs perfectly and void the need for carrying an iPod with me (an extra device).

As I said in the beginning of the post, this is merely speculation... I'm not bitching because Apple didn't release a 32GB, I'm just wondering if there is a possibility of that happening soon, so would I hold off on buying it this Friday.

22. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

Doesn't the iPhone only have room for a single flash chip, unlike the iPod touch which has room for 2 flash chips? If so then that means the iPhone will need to have a single 32gb flash chip and that could be pricey at today's rates. I would think we are getting a 32gb iPhone, however not until next year when apple can offer the 32gb iphone at the most $499.

23. rayward macrumors 65816

I understood that it is space, not cost, that is holding up the 32GB iPhone. They already have a 32GB iPod Touch, but that doesn't have a cell phone chip or, now, GPS.

When they make a 32GB chip that's the same size as the current 16GB chip (the iPod Touch has two 16GB chips), then you'll see a 32GB iPhone (and a 64GB iPod Touch).

24. rayward macrumors 65816

I might not need 32GB now, but I'm going to wait for it because I see no reason to upgrade in small increments. I'm also wary of the storage requirements of apps and their associated data. We could find in a couple of weeks that 32GB is the minimum...