Speculatons mid'11 MBP and doubts =)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xpcker, Apr 4, 2011.

1. xpcker, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

xpcker macrumors regular

Hi everyone, i'll to start thanking everyone for the respones and post of this forum, i've learned soo much and helped me quite a lot.

I've a dilema here, i live in chile and a high end 15" mbp with mate screen and 8gb ram could cost 3.500 US$ so, next month i have a contact going to USA and i dont know i honestly wait for the mid-year upgrade or not.

For what i've learned over the years, they'll prob upgrade the 6mb to 8mb cache of the processor and from 2.2 to 2.4 or maybe 2.6Ghz but, do you think they'll increase the video card performance? (i do like to play a lot of Aion and SC2 and neither both works too perfect on the 330m but very good in 6570m)

Prob you'll more memory than me, if you could help me this would be great!

one more thing: would it be too risky for the problems that have been ocurring with the 2011 MBP to buy it? (freezes, graphic glitchs, etc) or do you think those are just Software problems?

Thanks!!!

pd: has enyone tried Aion in parallels or VMFusion on the high end 15"?

2. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I can't say for the CPU, but I honestly think that the GPU will remain the same until the next "major" refresh (Ivy Bridge). :)

3. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

If you need it, get it... a refresh is no certainty.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

What Mid-2011 upgrade? Seriously, they refresh the MBP's every 8-10 months. Seeing as how they were just upgraded about a month ago, they won't be refreshed until at the earliest November, but more likely the 1st of the year next year when Ivy Bridge comes out. Yes the might up the processor a step in between, but 200mhz bump (at best) isn't going to make much of a difference.

5. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Not to hi-jack the thread, but what are the typical refresh intervals for Macbooks and iMacs? I'm a little confused. Sometimes it looks like they refresh within 8 months, and other times, a refresh won't come until over a year. Are computers not annual refreshes like iPhone/iPod and now iPads are?

6. xpcker thread starter macrumors regular

Apple has almost always upgraded their MBP on the first half of the year near feb-march and then slightly upgrade de proc near nov

7. haveknot macrumors newbie

haveknot

Laptops had never been great game machines - that goes with mac also. Lots of heat (increases resistance and result to choppy performance), always on low setting and mediocre video cards.

I will stick with whatever MacBook Pro unit I have. Sooner or later new models -- better CPU speed, RAM frequency, storage media -- will come out. I can't afford to buy each model every time, right?

Desktop is still my best option for gaming, far better than MacBook Pros. If your problem is about gaming, nah just buy a desktop when you are in US instead. :D

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The next refresh is not going to happen until 2012 when Ivy Bridge comes. The best Apple can do in the meanwhile is to give some or all CPUs a 100MHz boost when Intel releases slightly faster CPUs at the same price points. Is that worth waiting? Absolutely not.

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Remember, for computers Apple is a lot more limited in when they can refresh because they're following Intel's lead on chip releases. Unlike iPhone/iPod/iPad where they're using their own (ish) chips.

A yearly major refresh (+/- some weeks or months, depending on chips) and a semi-annual speed boost seems a pretty typical pattern, though.

10. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

11. Hansr macrumors 6502a

3 years out of 8. Sure that's almost always right?
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

12. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Just to be clear, we all agree on the following:

1. No MAJOR refresh until Ivy Bridge
    2. The only "refresh" we might see this year would be a processor speed bump of 100-200mhz with no video chip update.

Moral of the story: Just buy now.