Speech Recognition for Writing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by uMac, Aug 30, 2008.

1. uMac macrumors 6502

Hi,

I'm just wonder what options are out there for speech recognition. My goal is to write a book, however I would like to "talk it out" to the computer to get the first draft down.

Free would be great but I'm willing to throw a bit of cash into the problem if it will improve the quality of recognition.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

If you need speech-to-text software (dictation software), MacSpeech is the only one I know of...

3. on-a-mac macrumors newbie

MacSpeech Dictate

Funny timing - I was looking at the same kind of software for my father-in-law yesterday and put up a post about MacDictate. They use Dragon's speech engine, and supposedly it is pretty good. I put a video from YouTube in the post that has a pretty good review of the software. The reviewer said that it works very well, but it does lack some features (like the ability to learn from its mistakes) that will hopefully come to the product soon. There's a few other videos out there too that show how well the software dictates.

Mac Speech Recognition

I'm going to see if the publisher has a demo version (it looks like they don't) so I can do a review of my own. Good luck! If you do purchase some software, let us all know what your experience is!

4. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Dragon Naturally Speaking is the best, period. And it's true, it has been ported to OS X as mentioned above, even if it's somewhat more limited in options compared to how it works on Windows. However, I would have a different suggestion: why not get DNS for Windows and use it either in Boot Camp mode or Parallels? That way you have the best of both worlds: top performance with all the options, and you can use it on your Windows computers as well, should you need to, so basically you're equipped for both OS X and Windows. Problems solved. You can also buy it used for less than $100 if you look around.

5. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I agree with this 100%.

6. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks OldCorpse.
    This was one of the options I was looking at as I do have Windows in BootCamp. I have to look up the dragon speaking program in the windows environment to see what works best.