speech recognition in microsoft word for mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bimmerboii, Apr 8, 2008.

1. bimmerboii macrumors member

Hi, I want to know if it is possible to "talk" to your mic and have the speech be input as text on microsoft word 2008 for mac. I saw this on a video in youtube and it seems to work for windows, although i can not find any information on it for the mac.

Does anyone have any experience on this?

2. macsrules macrumors regular

3. bimmerboii thread starter macrumors member

hmm i thought ms office has built in speech recognition? I saw some videos on youtube although its on a windows pc

4. macsrules macrumors regular

It might, do you have the link to the youtube video, I would like to see it in action myself?

5. macsrules macrumors regular

bimmerboii,

I watched the video. Here is how I would answer your original question then.

1. First, I have used Mac Speech myself and have personal experience with it. I tired the previous version before this one came out too.

A. I could not use it, the version before Mac Speech was Horrible. It took forever to program your voice and it was not very accurate, that is an understatement, it sucked.

B. The new version of Mac Speech actually works. Less time to program your voice, more accurate, and it was completely rebuilt according to the Mac Speech Website.

2. Now, why am I mentioning this, it has nothing to do with Microsoft's Word Speech recognition question. I would disagree and here is why.

A. First, The Apple Version of Microsoft has, and is, historically always been a couple of steps behind the PC version. I would venture to say that is because Bill/Microsoft or Steve Baumer has always poured more of his resources into the PC version because it is one of their flag ship applications so,

B. Sometimes, the Mac Version does not have everything that the PC version has.

C. If, I remember correctly the video was for Microsoft 2003, I think?? It could be that they don't support this feature anymore, or did not include it all-together in the new version of Microsoft for Mac.

D. Lastly and probably most importantly. In the video the lady even said that the voice capturing makes errors so, here is something to think about. If Mac Speech, who does speech recognition for a living, is just now getting to the point of making a product that works okay, do you think that Microsoft, that takes so long to update the Mac version of Office, and all the other stuff I pointed out, is going to build-in an included feature that is comparable to Mac Speech or is it going to be more like the older versions of Mac Speech? And I mention again, it was not very good, I take it a step further, I could not even use it, maybe someone else had a different experience.