Speech to text app for SMS on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by EmptyG, Nov 11, 2010.

1. EmptyG macrumors regular

I am wondering if anyone knows of an app that can be used (app store or Cydia, I've jailbroken my iPhone) that will allow you to be able to talk and have it convert to text messages. I've seen a bunch of text to speech, but I am looking for one that I can use in the car to be able to text people back without having to type it out. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks!

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Well there is Dragon. You will need to press record & done when finished. Then press the options menu to send to SMS, then press the plus icon to add the contact you want to send to.

Probably not exactly what you had in mind, but if you have a good dash holder it's pretty quick & easy. And nothing to type.

3. EmptyG thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! You know I even have that app and forgot about it. That will probably work for me for now. It would be cool to have something that just picked up my speech with less tapping, but that definitely is a step in the right direction. I appreciate the help! :)

4. yourwiseguy macrumors regular

yourwiseguy

I wish they would add "compose text to [name]" to the voice control. Even with Dragon it is a pain to text while driving. You have to look down to open the app, press the button, and say who it goes to.