Speech-to-text?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ritmomundo, Feb 14, 2011.

1. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Okay, so I JUST got my new VZW iPhone earlier today and have been playing with it the better part of the afternoon. I can honestly say, all the frustrations of waiting for my package to come, and with verizon's slow shipping (albeit "overnight") completely disappeared as soon as I opened my box. :)

Now that I've been playing around with it for a while (and I know the iOS, as I have the iPod Touch 4g as well), I'm kind of missing 2 big features from Android, and Im wondering if there are any solutions for them on the iPhone (either from App store, or cydia- I'm not opposed to JBing) -- Speech-to-text & Swype..

As for speech-to-text, Ive already downloaded Dragon Dictation, and I'm impressed for the most part, but I'd really like a more integrated solution, like within messages rather than opening a separate app.

Swype on Android is just awesome, and I'd love to find an iPhone equivalent, but I suppose this is something I could learn to live without.

Id appreciate any suggestions! Thanks

2. SemlinaPilchard macrumors newbie

I've just discovered Dragon too, and I have to say I am really impressed especially for a free app.

You do know that by pressing the arrow you have a number of options, and it's just one click of say the email or SMS button and your text is sitting there in a message ready to be addressed and sent? You don't even have to cut and paste.

3. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

You've already found my suggestion for Speech - to - text, that being Dragon Dictation.

I have no suggestions for Swype.

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

Yes thanks ritmomundo. I don't have any answer to your question but thanks for suggesting that app. It is nice to have.

5. Centient macrumors 6502

Swype is great, and unfortunately I don't know of anything quite like it for the iPhone. Though it's hard to imagine that something like it won't find its way onto the iPhone in the near future.

6. ritmomundo thread starter macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

no prob!

Thats what I was hoping like 1.5 years ago when I first found out about swype... But it doesnt look like theres anything yet.

7. Aidoon macrumors newbie

Aidoon

Dragon isn't perfect but they've added some really nice convenience features, like being able to post status updates to Facebook and Twitter.

Being able to record and text is very useful while waiting for a light to turn green, but don't try it while driving.

Big problem with Dragon is having network connectivity available. Does Android require network access?