Speed after Reformat

Discussion in 'macOS' started by benc, Mar 29, 2009.

1. benc macrumors newbie

Hi,
    So, recently, my Mac Mini has been running pretty damn slowly. So, I decided to reformat the drive, reinstall OS X and then restore from Time Machine, in the hope that it would help.
    It didn't.
    Before restoring from TM, I booted into the fresh install of Leopard. It was SO fast.

So, my question is this:
    Is the only true way to get speedy again to reformat and basically start again? What is it that I've restored that keeps me slow?

Cheers,

Ben.

2. RoninXI macrumors regular

A lot of things can slow you down but it could be preferences, disk permissions or a number of other things. User/system caches, too many temp files could too but I would think time machine would not replace those with backups, I will leave someone else to answer that. If you use a lot of large files (like video) it could be fragmented also though in my experience a defrag usually slowed me down launching apps and opening files. You could try the app "Main Menu" and run all the cleaning scripts it has, that has helped me some.

EDIT: I forgot you could try this... Make a new user [] > System Preferences > Accounts, the permissions you give it should not matter but leave FileVault off (atleast for this test) and switch to that user. If it runs faster then it is something in your account if not it is system wide. That would help in nailing down the culprit :)