Speed and SSD, pic loading

Discussion in 'iMac' started by signuphere, Aug 14, 2017.

1. signuphere macrumors newbie

I just installed an SSD in a mid-'11 21.5 and have a question about what to expect for performance. It boots up in a mind boggling 15 seconds, apps open instantly which is all amazing. However, opening pics is still not so snappy. I have a pic folder (262MB, 459 items) that while it populates instantly, it takes "forever" (15 secs) when I click on 1 pic for it to open. I'm using Preview, so all pics are loaded before I can open just 1. Shouldn't clicking on pic open it instantly?

2. Ylan macrumors member

Ylan

Hi, signupwhere,

I am not sure I quite understand what you are meaning by "all pics are loaded before I can open just 1".

First I thought you might have Preview running, with many, many files open. Then they might be swapped out, if the system needed the RAM and have to swap back in again when you open a new file. But then I read again and am not sure anymore.

Do you have many, many files open in Preview?

Humbly, Ylan

3. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

As Lan asks, depends on what you mean by "all pics are loaded". Are you referring to the finder window on the pics folder or the open dialog in preview? How large are the picture files?

4. signuphere thread starter macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Aug 18, 2017 ---
    --- Post Merged, Aug 18, 2017 ---
    Right, when I open 1 pic it takes as long as if I and an conventional hd. The entire folder opens instantly but when I select one it takes 15 seconds until it opens full size. What's going on in the background is all pics are preloading to full size waiting for me if I want to open others.

My gripe is that with an SSD I thought nearly everything would happen instantly, but not this action. Everything else is dramatically faster.