Speed boost using SSD+WD Scorpio black as scratch disk?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pjny, Mar 18, 2011.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

It's frustrating using the stock 5400rpm on a mid-2010 MBP 13" with Final Cut Express and Adobe Lightroom. The computer literally grinds to a halt when processing files.

Do you know if I can get measurable speed bumps with FCP and Lightroom if I combine the SSD+Western Digital Scorpio 7200 rpm drives using one as a scratch drive?

I saw sale on OCZ Vertex 2 240GB 2.5" Serial ATA 3Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive, model no. OCZSSD2-2VTXE240G, for $379.99 285MB/s maximum read speed and 275MB/s maximum write speed.)

I'm going to go with either a 120GB OWC drive + 320GB WD Scorpio OR replace stock drive with OCZ Vertex 2 and save on the $75 for the optibay SSD drive cage.

Please advise. Thanks.

2. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

For me the time is not right with the SSd. I just sent back two OWC drives as they have sleep issues. I do not find it acceptable to have to do hard reboots after the computer sleeps on the timer. I also do not feel that turning off the energy saving preferences Is a proper solution either.

I would go with 2 Scorpio blacks for now until ssd's get just a bit more refined.

Don't get me wrong, I had an OWC SSd boot and another OWC ssd with scratch and it was FAST but the freezing issues just made it not worth it unfortunately. I am now on multiple 7200tpm drives while I wait it out.

The stock 5400 drives in the MBP are a joke. You could write the files by hand before that drive can find them;)

3. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

I myself have volunteered to be a guineapig on the vertex 3 and have ordered that for the main bay (optibay is sata ii....) and a Scorpio for.the optibay. Can't wait to see how it goes :)

Aren't sleep issues a common problem with ssd in optibay?

4. kushed macrumors regular

or just buy the apple SSD and everything works fine. the speed of it is still really really fast. i installed office 11 (8 gig file) in under 2 minutes.. maybe even under 1 i cant remember. anyways its plenty fast for me. it supports trim this way and is already in the computer! and mine sleeps like a baby :)

5. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple should be ashamed installing 5400 rpm drives on the Macbook pro. I was not expecting such tepid performance.

How's the performance boost with 2 7200rpm drives? I might just get the Overpriced OWC DVD drive replacement kid and install two spare 7200 rpm drives.