Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chillijam

macrumors member
Original poster
Hi folks,

I was just wondering if anyone on this forum had any experience with speed dating? I've been toying with the idea of going to an event, but I have to admit that I'm quite apprehensive about the idea - I mean, what do you talk about in that kind of situation? You know you only have 3 minutes to make an impression, and for someone shy like me, that doesn't seem like the lowest pressure situation you can get.

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

Note : I'm 35 and just going through a divorce, so I know I am capable of meeting women, it's just that i haven't done it for so long I am pretty terrified of the whole experience.

Thanks
CJ

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
i haven't been to something like that. but i must say, i am curious.

i can imagine, id look at the person and i guess ask 1 or 2 questions.

you don't really have time for more i guess.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I've heard that after the first event you may feel you have lucked out. But it isn't always as it seems.

Maybe have a glass, and only a glass, of wine before the event.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
They are a riot! It's a great chance to be random and to meet a bunch of people. Don't worry about impressing anyone--that is to miss the point. Just go, have fun, meet people, and if you like anyone, try to meet them again for more than 3 minutes.

Just go and talk about whatever--what brought them there, something about them that struck you, a random news bit, hobby, etc. I think dating is all about magic anyway--you're just as likely to have lightning strike in 3 minutes as in a 3 hour dinner date.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
I'd be interested in this now I think. I've just been trying online dating services, and haven't had much success.. I think I'm too shy to even talk for 3 minutes, but everythings worth a shot once isn't it?

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Is this similar to dating on Speed? That might make things a little more interesting.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Hmm, I've dated three women in three months...does that count as speed dating? To be honest, I HATE dating. It's the part of the relationship I wish I could skip.

rivercottage

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2006
Give it a wurl, just dont take it too seriously, if anything its just a bit of practice getting back into it :)

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
like on Hitch???
looks pretty fun...i would try it.
but then again, i am in hs surrounded by tons of hot chicks, no need for it:D.

iAthena

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
USA
Did it once and it wasn't a pleasant experience for me at all. I'll stick to conventional dates, thank you very much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.