Speed Dating

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chillijam, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Chillijam macrumors member

Chillijam

Hi folks,

I was just wondering if anyone on this forum had any experience with speed dating? I've been toying with the idea of going to an event, but I have to admit that I'm quite apprehensive about the idea - I mean, what do you talk about in that kind of situation? You know you only have 3 minutes to make an impression, and for someone shy like me, that doesn't seem like the lowest pressure situation you can get.

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

Note : I'm 35 and just going through a divorce, so I know I am capable of meeting women, it's just that i haven't done it for so long I am pretty terrified of the whole experience.

Thanks
    CJ

2. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i haven't been to something like that. but i must say, i am curious.

i can imagine, id look at the person and i guess ask 1 or 2 questions.

you don't really have time for more i guess.

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I've heard that after the first event you may feel you have lucked out. But it isn't always as it seems.

Maybe have a glass, and only a glass, of wine before the event.

4. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

They are a riot! It's a great chance to be random and to meet a bunch of people. Don't worry about impressing anyone--that is to miss the point. Just go, have fun, meet people, and if you like anyone, try to meet them again for more than 3 minutes.

Just go and talk about whatever--what brought them there, something about them that struck you, a random news bit, hobby, etc. I think dating is all about magic anyway--you're just as likely to have lightning strike in 3 minutes as in a 3 hour dinner date.

5. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

just curious, who gets to ask most of the questions? the women, men? How is it organized?

6. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I'd be interested in this now I think. I've just been trying online dating services, and haven't had much success.. I think I'm too shy to even talk for 3 minutes, but everythings worth a shot once isn't it?

7. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Is this similar to dating on Speed? That might make things a little more interesting.

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Hmm, I've dated three women in three months...does that count as speed dating? To be honest, I HATE dating. It's the part of the relationship I wish I could skip.

9. rivercottage macrumors member

Give it a wurl, just dont take it too seriously, if anything its just a bit of practice getting back into it :)

10. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

No. Lol. Don't even think about it ;).

11. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

like on Hitch???
    looks pretty fun...i would try it.
    but then again, i am in hs surrounded by tons of hot chicks, no need for it:D.

12. iAthena macrumors regular

Did it once and it wasn't a pleasant experience for me at all. I'll stick to conventional dates, thank you very much.

13. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Man, I wish I had those...

14. shecky Guest

shecky