Speed degradation on wifi network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chuchichan, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Chuchichan macrumors 6502

I have a wifi network running with two Airport Express units. One unit is an Airport Express "N" and one is a "G". The "N" is connected to my router and configured as the main basestation. My "G" is connected as a remote station and extends my network and I connect my stereo to it.

I've noticed that my wifi network starts off relatively fast (speedtest from my Powerbook laptop is about 10-15mbs), however it soon slows down significantly (to about .2-.5 mbs). My line connection is fiber optic. My PC (which is connected directly to the router) gets very fast speeds (about 80mbs).

I've tried changing settings like the channels the Airport Expresses connect to, but this doesn't seem to resolve the issue.

The issue isn't with my devices, because when I bring them (my Powerbook and iPod Touch) to a friends place (they have a wifi network with two "G" Airport Expresses) they run much quicker.

Is there possibly some conflict with the channel or possibly a defective Airport Express? I have noticed that occassionly the "N" Express goes orange and then quickly back to green.

Well, thank you in advance for any assistance and let me know if I can provide more details.

Thanks...

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

If you are using the G as an extension of your N, then your N is running in mixed mode N,G and possibly N,G,B...mixed mode can have some signal degredation.

So you are sending a G degraded signal wirelessly to a G device, which then sends out wirelessly to other devices, or even through the wire.

If this is the case, then try connecting the G directly to your router, and see if the same happens.

If you connect your iPod and Computer directly to your router does this happen? What if you connect them both to your N airport? You can kind of narrow things down by working from the source signal at the Router out into the expanded network.

Hoep it helps,

Brian

3. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure I follow all of what you're saying.

I have connect my powerbook directly to the main router and the speed is much faster. How would I connect my ipod directly to the Router?

I will have to play around with things more to see if there is a problem with the Airports. I thought it might have had to do with the settings on one of the airports.

Thanks...