Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zav

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
You must consider you actual usage of the device and whether the iPad Mini is for you. A lot of people are jumping ship from their iPad 3s because the Mini is new and innovative. Some, however are left with a bit of a sour taste in their mouth after reverting back to a lower res screen noticing a pixels more, also it seems obvious, but the smaller screen means a less enjoyable experience in many aspects of use. Hell, one the main reasons the iPad became so popular was the large screen.

Weigh up your options, you clearly love your iPhone 5 and if neither the Mini or the iPad 4 is making you instantly rush out to get one, maybe stick with iPad 3. It's actually an awesome device.

P.s many people have upgraded their iPad 3s to 4th gen iPads and are very, very pleased. There is a speed difference, and an overal faster experience. However if I owned iPad 3. I'd stick with it for now.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I own an iPad 3 and went from a 4S to a 5 this past week. I was considering getting a mini this weekend, that way I would give my iPad 3 to my mother who reads a lot on her iPad and she would give her iPad 2 to my father (who doesn't own an iPad).

However, after using the iPhone 5 I am not sure if I want to get a mini anymore as the iP5 seems wayyyy faster than any other device I have used. I feel like all others devices will be slow and laggy compared to it. Now, is it because of LTE (and my wi-fi is a lot slower than I thought?) or was there a HUGE speed bump? Is the iPad mini faster than the 3 due to the lack of retina? Cause I feel like my iPad 3 lags a bit, unlike my iPhone 5. Now I am not sure if I should just wait for a mini processor update.

[Edit] Since there isn't a big difference between the iPad 3 and the iPad 4 except the speed, I think I'd wait for a bigger update since they look the same. It seems like it would be a waste. Furthermore, I prefer the size of the mini... just not sure if the slower speed is worth it. Unless it's faster than the 3, then I can overlook it.

Mini is exact same speed as iPad 2.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
I'm pleased with the speed of the iPad 3 and don't feel shorted in any way. I've tried the iPad mini and felt it was lacking in overall experience, for me. The difference in quality of display stood out in a manner I could not shrug off and ignore. The mini's form factor is nice, but I'd actually prefer it to be slightly heavier, for more confident handling and even better battery life.

Because of what the iPad 3 offers I don't feel the slightest bit tempted in what the iPad 4 has to offer. The incremental change is not enough for me to switch. The form factor change in the iPad 5 may sway me, we'll see....

Zav

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
LOL, I am not one of those who just buys the newest Apple product because its innovative. I have always been a fan of bigger screens (hench why I bought a 15 inch MBP in 2009) but after owning a 3, I find myself using it less and less. My sis got a mini and I find it so easy to use. You can pick it up as easily as a phone and take it on the go. Idk - something about it seems like an easier to use/hold device.

I still love my iPad 3 and between the 4 and the 3 I'd stick with the 3 as there is no major difference except speed (and the camera which I don't use). Definitely want a mini though... gonna weigh in all my options though as you say.

Glad you've taken the best advice, from the best person - yourself. It's nice to see someone not just rushing out to buy a product on a whim (I must admit, I've done this before and felt very stupid afterwards).

P.s I meant no offence when I made the innovative point.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Why don't people go to the Apple Store and try them out anymore? I went to the store, played with the Mini and I couldn't even notice it was "low resolution". Fell in love and picked up a 4G. The only reason I got rid of it was because I had the iPad 4 and needed some money to pay my bills lol. I got a little spend crazy this quarter. But I would absolutely use it as a primary iPad if I was on the move a lot.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
My wife has an ipad 4, I have a mini. The speed difference is not substantial. I vastly prefer the size of the mini.

The reason the ipad 2 still feels decent is that the ipad 1 was gimped, while the ipad 2 had a very good SoC with long legs.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It doesn't feel gimped because the newer iPads use retina graphics, so most of the iPad's improved processor goes towards processing those graphics anyways.

It's like saying that an older worker takes the same time to wipe a table as a more able-bodied worker takes to wipe two. :p

kevinloyed

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2012
I own an iPad 3 and went from a 4S to a 5 this past week. I was considering getting a mini this weekend, that way I would give my iPad 3 to my mother who reads a lot on her iPad and she would give her iPad 2 to my father (who doesn't own an iPad).

However, after using the iPhone 5 I am not sure if I want to get a mini anymore as the iP5 seems wayyyy faster than any other device I have used. I feel like all others devices will be slow and laggy compared to it. Now, is it because of LTE (and my wi-fi is a lot slower than I thought?) or was there a HUGE speed bump? Is the iPad mini faster than the 3 due to the lack of retina? Cause I feel like my iPad 3 lags a bit, unlike my iPhone 5. Now I am not sure if I should just wait for a mini processor update.

[Edit] Since there isn't a big difference between the iPad 3 and the iPad 4 except the speed, I think I'd wait for a bigger update since they look the same. It seems like it would be a waste. Furthermore, I prefer the size of the mini... just not sure if the slower speed is worth it. Unless it's faster than the 3, then I can overlook it.

iPad Mini is exact same speed as iPad 2. I used both.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
4 seems appreciably quicker than my 3 in my couple days of testing.

Booting up, loading pages on safari, playing dead trigger, opening apps instantly and less stall to get to settings page amongst other things. It'll only get better in time.

If ipad 5 is a6x also many will suddenly notice the 4 is no slump

It's like when pre-unibody became unibody with same architecture under the good, a bit of a superficial upgrade.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've not noticed a big difference in my iPad 1 vs. the iPad mini but then my usage is less relient on the CPU/GPU. I think the iPad 4 is the best performing but if you're not playing games (like me) then the performance between the models will be hardly noticeable.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I have both the iPad 2 and 4 ... the 2 is ridiculously slow compared to the 4 in just about every task. If I'm using the 2 without access to the 4, the 2 is pretty good, then when I fire up the 4, even just to view a web page, I can't believe I would still use the 2. It's all relative, unless you compare the two models side by side, which most people don't, whichever model you have will be just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.