Speed difference between MBA SSD and MBP SSD option?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Joseph01, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Joseph01 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've been reading topics on this forum for a good year or so now and am an Arandale survivor too, I didn't post but was along for the ride. That was rough :rolleyes:

You tell yourself "Never again" but I found myself following this refresh too and am finally going to take the plunge and buy one of these new MBPs (my first and only mac was a 2006 White MacBook). I use Keynote quite frequently and one way or another can't get away from it :D truly brilliant software.

Anyway down to the reason for my first post, the topic title.
    I am stuck between getting the new MBP or waiting for the next MBA refresh. The current one is ok but I may aswell wait for the next one and buy it on release as I'll have the funds this time round.

One of the main things I like about the Air is the SSD drive soldered on the mother board. I'm guessing this must provide some extra speed boost.

Will the speed of the SSD option in the MBP be the same or a bit slower than the one in MBA?

I was really hoping for the SSD rumour for the OS on the new MBP to be true but onwards to the expensive upgrade. As long as it'll be just as quick I'll be somewhat happier :)

What's the consensus people? MBP SSD option as fast as the MBA's?

Many thanks in advance,

Joe

2. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502

3. Joseph01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok sorry :) excuse my lack of technical knowledge. I just thought that due to the fact it was not user replaceable on the Air it must be hardwired to the motherboard in some way, which I presumed would have a speed advantage on load times. I've heard so much positive feedback about the Air's load times and want my MBP to be like that.

Cheers,

Joe

4. macdud macrumors member

Let me put it to you this way:

The new MBP, even entry model 2.3 i5 + SSD option will smoke a MBA 13 Ultimate out the water.

5. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502

They are user upgradeable, well, easy to replace but I don't know Apple's stance on it affecting warranty. And a new MBP with a SSD will smoke a MBA. The MBA SSD is good but is by no means superior to 3rd party SSDs you could put in a MBP.

6. OptyCT macrumors 6502

My recommendation would be to pick up one of the new MBP's and use it for a couple of months running the out-of-the-box specs. If you feel the need to upgrade to an SSD, check out OWC. They'll probably have one of their SSD upgrade kits out in a few months that'll work in the new MBP's. I threw one of their Data Doubler kits in my 2009 MBP (that's the kit that replaces your optical drive with an SSD - you still keep your existing hard drive), and it's blazing fast (boots up in 20 seconds). I run OSX and all my apps on the SSD and use my HDD for storage (documents, music, etc.).

7. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

No. They are not integrated in the same way.