Speed difference between new macbook pro 2.8 and old 2.33

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bezbozny, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Bezbozny macrumors member

Has anyone upgraded from the 15-inch macbook pro 2.33 to the new 2.8? Is there a big difference in performance? I know that there are many benchmark tests out there but i am mostly interested in real world experience.
    My current setup now is a macbook pro 2.33Mhz, 2 GB RAM, 500GB 7200rpm HDD, Radeon X1600 256MB RAM.
    The setup that i am thinking of purchasing is the standard 15-inch 2.8 with the 4 GB RAM and the 7200rpm 500GB HDD.
    I don't play games and i mostly use my computer for photo post processing (aperture, photoshop and many aperture and photoshop plugins) and pages/word, keynote/powerpoint. Also i like to have many applications open at the same time. That means that for example now are open: aperture and photoshop as well as safari with about 10 tabs, dragthing, xback, nokia multimedia transfer, default folder, netbarrier and virusbarrier that run on the background, speed download, Mail, itunes.

Thank you!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I want from the standard 17" 2.33 with the 5400 to the 17" 2.8 with the 7200 (I also had a 2.5 in between there) - difference is night and day.

3. Bezbozny thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your reply. I wish i could put some more RAM in mine, but it can only utilise 3 GB of RAM.
    I am surprised that you saw such a big performance difference so i hope that i will be pleasantly surprised since my laptop is even older than yours.