Speed gain on MBP unibody/Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oc2pus, Feb 11, 2009.

1. oc2pus macrumors member

Hi there,

a friend of mine just bought the 17" Unibody MBP speccing it with an SSD and 8 GB RAM.
    He is a Macintosh user since the very early days and he told me, he is quite disappointed of the performance gain he feels over his last generation MBP running at 4 GB RAM and a HDD.
    Our discussion went on and I stated that I could imagine a quite considerable performance boost once Snow Leopard is published.
    Is this true, asking those who tried a beta version of it or would he be much more amazed to wait until the MBP had a reasonable CPU-upgrade.

I myself realized a performance gain in comparison to my last gen MB and I'm considering myself not to be dreaming...

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Why did you state something if you weren't sure it was true? :confused:

The beta is, obviously, still a beta, so until we get closer to the GM is difficult to say how big a performance boost he would see.

3. lordthistle macrumors 6502

???
    Gold medal?
    He actually used a Unibody 17" MBP?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yeah, I didn't think these were out yet?

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

This is clearly a lie because the 17" Unibody Macbook Pro's havn't even come out yet

I would tell your 'friend' to stop telling you BS and get a life.

Any operating system such as Snow Leopard will have performance increases, due to its open CL, open GL, Hybrid SLI and Hybrid SLY capabilities, which you can google to find out more about. It also slims down most native apps by more than 50%.

Considering it has hardly any new features if it didn't provide performance increases noone would buy it? so its a bit obvious really.