Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I still have hundreds of DVD's and so have the apple USB external drive that I plug into my MacBook to play movies when I'd rather play them on MacBook over my Blu-ray player next to my TV and AppleTV. Today I was watching Troy and unfortunately during a good part the computer paused for a few seconds and I missed the scene where Hector strikes Achilles in his armor. I was playing the DVD on battery power. Was this an issue with the M2, the DVD itself (they do get scratches) or running on battery power? The M2 is an EXCELLENT chip and much faster than the Intel i5 of my previous MacBook. Thanks..

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
I still have hundreds of DVD's and so have the apple USB external drive that I plug into my MacBook to play movies when I'd rather play them on MacBook over my Blu-ray player next to my TV and AppleTV. Today I was watching Troy and unfortunately during a good part the computer paused for a few seconds and I missed the scene where Hector strikes Achilles in his armor. I was playing the DVD on battery power. Was this an issue with the M2, the DVD itself (they do get scratches) or running on battery power? The M2 is an EXCELLENT chip and much faster than the Intel i5 of my previous MacBook. Thanks..
I've had issues with M-series laptops not delivering sufficient power for an optical drive to operate correctly (this was an Asus DVD drive, not an Apple one). The drive worked fine plugged into a powered Thunderbolt dock but not directly into the laptop. Did the issue happen just that one time? That could be indicative of a scratch, smudge, or other defect on the disc. Were you multitasking that could have caused thermal throttling?

Reactions: jwolf6589

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I've had issues with M-series laptops not delivering sufficient power for an optical drive to operate correctly (this was an Asus DVD drive, not an Apple one). The drive worked fine plugged into a powered Thunderbolt dock but not directly into the laptop. Did the issue happen just that one time? That could be indicative of a scratch, smudge, or other defect on the disc. Were you multitasking that could have caused thermal throttling?
May have been a scratch. I was not multitasking. I am not gonna break the law and burn my DVDS to a drive.if I really want a movie I will buy it on iTunes.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Did you attempt to rewind or replay that section back? If it still skips, then it’s likely due to a scratch. If it plays fine, then something else probably happened.

Also, some DVD players may pause for a brief second around halfway into long movies when it switches layers for dual-layer DVDs. Producers often try to hide them where it won’t be noticeable, such as during a transition or cut scene. I don’t think that’s what happened here though…bad placement for the layer transition and layer transitions shouldn’t skip content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.