Speed of Computer in Leopard Guide Video

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Fazzl, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

While watching the guide to leopard video i noticed that the dudes mac opened apps and documents instantly. I have 2.2 MBP but it takes an app a few seconds to open up. why is this?

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I think they edited the movie.... don't you? ;)

3. chatoyer macrumors regular

There were some edits. If you can bear it, watch the time in the menubar throughout.

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The Mac probably has a lot of RAM, and the apps had been opened up before...try opening a big app, closing it and then opening it agan - there will be a noticeable decrease in opening time :)

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The iMac isn't even running anything.

You can see the overlay.

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

These kind of movies belong in the world of advertising. :rolleyes:
    Ofcourse they edit these so that everything looks super great and exceptionally fast.

I bet that someone will make a joke shortly: making a similar movie but showing how bad and slowly everything works in Leopard, you know .... showing how slowly coverflow in the Finder works with WMV-movies, or how Time Machine takes ages to backup your entire internal HD for the first time on a USB 1 - HD.. etc.

7. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Well guys, having used the Leopard Betas on my White iMac 2,33Ghz with 3GB RAM, I can tell you that the speed increase over Tiger is dramatic. I don't think Apple edited the video. It works exactly so fast on my iMac!!!

8. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Fair play (Y)
    I hope that you're correct and it ISN'T edited.
    Although I think that it might well be :(
    As long as it's quicker than XP Im happy :rolleyes:

9. MBX macrumors 65816

maybe it's just a freshly installed mac. usually when you have a fresh system and not bloated with too many files & apps on the drive it's pretty snappy.

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Let's put it this way:
    - Nike shoes make you run faster...
    - Using an iPod makes you look like a silhouette...
    - Using Gillette's MACH 3 Turbo razors make you a real sporting hero...
    - Leopard launches Safari 3 times faster....
    :rolleyes:

Do a clean install of Tiger and Leopard on the same iMac 24" 2.8 GHz with 4 GB RAM.
    You will not notice much difference in launch time of apps. Might be a little better (on an Intel Mac, that is...) but not as great as this movie lets you believe.

11. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Leopard is a 64bit system and thats the biggest feature it has! It really takes advantage of our Core 2 Duos and Xeon Processors! (for those that have them!)
    Many libraries have been written from scratch to support multiple cores and that shows!
    Opening iCal or Mail is instantaneous!

12. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

G5's are full 64 bits CPU.
    iCal or Mail or Safari or any iLife app..... are not 64 bits.
    Mail and Safari in Tiger are multithreaded too.

The only thing I can think of which *could* make Leopard launch apps a little faster than Tiger on the same Intel-based Mac, is that the Intel binaries are optimised more than that was the case with Tiger.

Don't get overexcited.

13. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Are you just now noticing the instantaneous speeds of all Apple products on their advertisements?
    Go back and watch all other videos for the iphone, ipodTouch etc., etc., and you'll see that everything is lightning fast.
    As others have pointed out its edited, and it called advertising-make it look faster than what they have now and people will want it.

14. downingp macrumors 6502a

After watching the guided tour video, I was really excited about the new features of iChat. My question is, will sharing files through iChat really work as well as they show? Sharing a presentation or photo slideshow over iChat will be great if it really works as smooth and fast as they show on the video tutorial.

What do you think?

15. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

If the iChat AV connection with your pal goes over a >10 Mb network connection, sure it'll work that great!
    You can be sure that when Apple were recording that, they used a 802.11n Airport Extreme with both Macs not further away than 10 feet from the Base Station, thus in the same network broadcast.

But, judging Tiger's iChat AV's performance over "internet", where the upload speed of someone's ADSL is the bottleneck (1024 Kb if you're lucky), I think it would work "okay".
    If your buddy's upload speed is < 512 Kb you might find iChat Theatre to be jerky once in a while... ;)

16. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i highly doubt that. i say that it was edited

17. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I tried doing that, and it appears Leopard really is that fast. The time didn't jump around much during demoes. Apparently, the video was recorded on Sept. 27. The date in the iCal icon pretty much remains the same, except for one point in the Mail demo, it goes to the 30th, and at the end, it goes to Oct. 3.

18. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

It's clearly fake..even in the apple store they fudge with stuff like that. I remember when I went to get my mbp the sign says "2 GB ram, 128 mb video card, etc," but the display model itself actually had 4 gb ram and 256 mb video card.

19. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Exactly, I don't understand the problem. The video was simply a showcase of the features of Leopard, not a gauge on the speed of the hardware.

(Nevertheless, i'm sure it will be nippy when we finally get it ;))

20. Queso macrumors G4

It's running on the new flash RAM based 12" MBP hooked up to a 20" ACD :)

OK, enough of the acronyms!!!

21. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I was impressed by the USB keyboard with no wire attached to the iMac :)

22. Nick12945 macrumors regular

I know. I cracked up when I finally notices that.

23. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Not being picky but it could be hidden by the power cord.