Speed of Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by juicyrebel, Apr 14, 2010.

1. juicyrebel macrumors newbie

I wasn't sure if i should post this thread in apple hardware or windows so i decided windows.

I'm running Windows 7 on a Macbook Pro.
    *SPECS*
    Intel core 2 Duo
    2.26 GHz
    1 processor
    2 cores
    3 mb of Cache
    2 gb of memory
    1.07 GHz bus speed.

My question is that I'm considering buying Fallout 3 on Steam and I'm wondering what framerate it would run at. Maybe not framerate but just general speed. Would it be fast, slow. I know there minimum req. on steam but I trust you guys more.
    thanks a lot

2. zahrten macrumors newbie

You can't

I believe you have the 9400 gpu, and that is not enough.
    Your cpu is good enough to run 25+fps with sensible settings, It's your video card it depends on.
    The 9600m or better will do the job.

3. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Luckily, Fallout 3 has a very innovative way of targeting hostile NPCs. That makes the gameplay at least somewhat less dependent on a fast graphics card. I play the game on my aluminium unibody MacBook. Yes, with the NVIDIA GeForce 9400m on-board graphics. It runs quite decently. Certainly very playable. Sure, sometimes it stutters a bit, but that's fine with me. It doesn't distract me from the awesome gameplay at all. Seriously, this game is too good to ignore because your computer might be too slow to handle it. Of course, I have a 2,4GHz Core 2 Duo, which is slightly faster than your CPU is. I think you should try it. I can't run the game with all settings on high quality, but it still looks very good. Definitely the best game this side of the century yet, in my opinion. (Deus Ex was my favorite game of the last century.)

4. imperialnavy macrumors regular

I suppose you can play Fallout 3 on your Macbook, but only when you lower details...and that would look rather ugly. If you consider adding mods, then you wont be able to play it. I had a hard time with Fallout 3 on my former Macbook Pro with the 9600 and 512mb, it stuttered a lot, lights were causing massive frame drops and so on, i did get it to run fast and beautifully for most of the time though (and with a LOT of mods).
    Now on the new Macbook Pro it runs very fast ;)
    I suppose those 48 shadercores opposed to 32 can do some work^^