Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

STxMacUser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
I have been taking night sky images and converting them into time lapse videos over the past three years and wanted to offer a timeline of computer and Photoshop improvements to the hobby that I have seen over this period of time.

Background
I typically use 10 to 13 second shutter speed settings depending on the moon phase and target goal for the night with 3 second intervals between each image and allow the camera to run from darkness setting in to the next morning first light. The number of night sky images can range from around 2,800 to 3,500 during one overnight session depending on the time of year and the duration of darkness at the time. So, I have lots of images that I have to transfer from a camera SSD chip to my computer and then into Photoshop so I can adjust, stack and render into video to produce a time lapse video of one night imaging session.

Computers Used and Performances:

First Computer - Back in 2019 I searched for the best computer system to process my night sky imaging into time lapse videos and I ended up building an Intel i9 PC computer that was fully specced out with the best hardware to allow me to process my imaging. The computer was expensive but it took an almost impossible task and allowed me to process my work in 10 to 12 hours (or more at times) to get a final time lapse video. Processing had to be started each morning after a night session so that I could be ready for the next session of imaging. The times would vary and computer crashing and having to start over from the beginning was a common occurrence but was something that I had to deal with in order to get the final product.

Second computer - I had always been an Apple user and jumped on a 16 inch Apple MacBook Pro with the Intel i9 chip when it became available and experienced a more stable platform to process my night sky images but didn't save much on time. Between progress with Apple's hardware and Photoshop software status at the time it still took at least 8 hours but usually 10 or more hours to get my imaging processed. The positive outcome from this upgrade was that I experienced fewer computer crashes than before.

Third computer - I bought an Apple MacBook Pro with the new M1 chip to try for my processing and was happy to see that the new Apple silicone was able to drop my processing time down to the 4 to 6 hour range with rare crashes that required starting over. Good improvement from Apple but Photoshop was working to be more compatible with the new Apple silicone M1 chip.

Fourth computer - Apple 16 inch MacBook Pro M1 Max was my next computer and the combination of the fast chip and Photoshop's software advances made this system more reliable with little to no crashes and a processing time of around 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

Current computer - Apple Mac Studio M1 Ultra with 128 GB of unified memory came in a couple of weeks ago and all I can say is WOW!!! The Mac Studio was able to cut the processing time of my night sky images to as little as 1 1/2 hours. The number of images that I have been processing at this middle of Summer time of year is around 2,850 so I know that Winter time processing may bump the processing time up to around 2 hours or a little longer than that due to the higher number of images during the night. Computer crashes are history for me.

Summary:

So in a period of 3 years I went from unstable Photoshop processing that took 10 to 12 hours or more to the Mac Studio M1 Ultra that is capable of processing my images in 1 1/2 hours time with no computer crashes whatsoever. So my hobby of producing time lapse videos of the night sky has been fun but very challenging until now. The hobby has become more fun and less of a burden with the computer improvements over these past three years. It is said that the Mac Studio Ultra is intended for a specific user out there but I can say that this computer has made my hobby much more enjoyable and it certainly works for me. I hope that some find this info helpful in their decision making process. One day the computer will be so efficient that it will only take a couple of minutes to process this many images but I am very happy with the progress thus far.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
One day the computer will be so efficient that it will only take a couple of minutes to process this many images but I am very happy with the progress thus far.
Interesting journey. Lot of computer purchases for a hobby. When the computer becomes fast enough to process in real time you will probably be using much higher resolution imaging.

I can’t imagine my of my activities needing that level of power but it’s obvious that it benefits you.

Reactions: STxMacUser

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Your process sounds fascination and I really enjoyed reading how the different machines have speeded up your workflow.

Like others, I'd love to see some samples of your work.

STxMacUser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Interesting journey. Lot of computer purchases for a hobby. When the computer becomes fast enough to process in real time you will probably be using much higher resolution imaging.

I can’t imagine my of my activities needing that level of power but it’s obvious that it benefits you.
Yep, very costly but I have always been an early adopter of tech related products and have traded in/sold my computers along the way. Im now at a happy spot with the Mac Studio.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Here is a short clip of a zoomed in view of a meteor that disintegrates upon impact with the atmosphere.
Very nice, thank you and I've looked at all of your videos. I wonder if you'll be doing similar time lapses during the Perseids and Leonids?

STxMacUser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Very nice, thank you and I've looked at all of your videos. I wonder if you'll be doing similar time lapses during the Perseids and Leonids?
I do videos when the sky is clear. When meteor showers occur I cross my fingers and hope for good conditions.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I am in awe... That is an example of a perfect union of art and technology. I say art because photography in general was satisfied with computer power long ago, and now we are obsessed with shaving seconds in our workflow. This however is a magnitude of 50% improvement per iteration... Wow!

What is your other equipment? What camera, cooling, and tripods are you using? Do you incorporate a tracking solution as well?

STxMacUser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Neat! I've never seen a video of a meteor doing that. What do you use to capture the images? Telescope and camera?
I use a camera and a tripod. My camera has a built in intervalometer that allows me to take image after image with a designated time gap between each image. I use a Sony A7RIV camera and a Sony 24mm lens with an f-stop of 1.4. I use a 10 to 13 second exposure and an ISO between 1250 and 2000. I set a 3 second gap between each image and process all of the images at a frame rate of 30 frames per second.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killerbob

STxMacUser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
I am in awe... That is an example of a perfect union of art and technology. I say art because photography in general was satisfied with computer power long ago, and now we are obsessed with shaving seconds in our workflow. This however is a magnitude of 50% improvement per iteration... Wow!

What is your other equipment? What camera, cooling, and tripods are you using? Do you incorporate a tracking solution as well?
Thanks. I do not use a tracking mount but have thought about doing that to capture nebula and maybe galaxies by taking for longer exposures and stacking images. I agree, it is an art and I was lucky to catch the details of that meteor. I happened to check it out more than once because it was a brighter meteor and I thought that I had seen some debris so I zoomed in and like you said, WOW. Another tip is that I use 18 hour hand warmers to wrap around the lens for overnight imaging to keep dew from forming and collecting on the lens. I use a gitzo tripod and weigh it down with a cable and a 25 lb weight to keep the tripod from moving around in the wind.

Last edited:

GoGrater

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2020
WOW, really awesome! Thanks for sharing that. You have a lot of patience and perseverance. And I imagine conditions are not always warm and cozy at those hours, although you might have a partially unattended setup so you can actually get some sleep. Feel free to post more of your work.

Those are lots of big files you're processing. How many photos are you having Photoshop handle at once? I'm getting a Mac Studio Ultra, although "only" with 64GB RAM and I'm hoping it'll be plenty enough for large Photoshop .psb files containing multiple layers and smart objects. Nothing close to what you're doing, but I don't upgrade often and hope to keep my Studio chugging along smoothly for awhile.

ddhhddhh2

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
Taipei
Wow, amazing work! The universe and the sky have always been quite fascinating.
And thank you for documenting and sharing in such detail, it shows us how advances in technology can improve the efficiency of users, cheers! 🍻

fpenta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
I’m a landscape photographer and Timelapser. I currently use a MBP M1 Max and an IMac 2019 with i9-8 cores.
I think your timing are a little bit on the long side.

I have been using the iMac 2019 with i9-8 cores for 3 years now. I processed a lot of timelapses with it and I don’t get near 10 hours of processing for a 3.000 45 mpx photos. It handles the process very easily. It’s not the fastest but it’s not impossible as you say and never experienced any crash with the software I’m using (Lightroom, Lr Timelapse, After effects, Premiere or Da Vinci resolve)

I don’t know your workflow but I think you can improve it!

Here is an example of one of my Timelapse works made with the iMac. Took me probably 15-20 hours to process but we are taking about 20.000 images.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.