Speed of old Storage-Devices from Apple

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by johnscully, May 20, 2014.

1. johnscully macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm curious about the Read/Write-Speed of old Apple-Storage-Devices like Floppy Drives (Disk II) and external Harddrives (ProFile) used with the Apple II and the original Macintosh. I'd like to compare them to modern day media like CDs and DVDs. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

I don't have any ideas about how to compare the old hardware, unless you have some lying around or a spec sheet (I can't seem to find one).

However, if you look at the Wikipedia article for floppy disks in general, while mostly pertinent to PCs, you'll see that the maximum theoretical speed was around 1000 Kbps (83% of a 1x CD-ROM), with practical maximums around 125 Kbps due to overhead.

I imagine Apple's would be similar, if not slower given that I think they are older. But I could be wrong.

In any case, the only answer most people would care about is "very slow." I assume you're doing a special project where that answer is not good enough. :D

3. johnscully thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer! And you are right, i have to do this research for a project :)