Speed of Tethering to iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jw nyc, Mar 13, 2011.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

So I want to order the iPad 2 32GB but I don't think I need 3G anymore b/c I can tether to my iPhone 4. My only question is will the speed of the Internet on the tethered iPad be as fast as it would be if I had 3G built into it? If it is I'll get it without 3G but if not...we'll see. Can someone who has tethered it please let me know? Thanks.

2. Ole'schooliBook macrumors member

From a purely qualitative standpoint, I can say that tethering, or "personal hotspot" as Apple likes to call it, is pretty much like network usage on the iPhone 4.

I have only tried it with the iOS 4.3 on an iPad 1 tethered to my iPhone 4, but speeds were good. No unusually long webpage load times (compared to iPhone 4 on 3G). This sealed the wifi-only decision for me. It is definitely something to consider if your carrier doesn't impose arbitrarily harsh tethering charges for data you've already paid for (venting Canadian who doesn't have to deal with the AT&T BS down in the states). Your 3G providers are ridiculously predatory and two-faced.

3. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

You won't notice the difference. Just be aware you lose GPS and the iPhone when tethering, like every other phone, uses a lot of battery. Wi-fi is everywhere so I will only occasionally need 3G on my iPad and for those minimal occasions I'll use my Verizon iPhone.