Speed of the EDGE network.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by levitynyc, Oct 11, 2007.

1. levitynyc macrumors 65816

I just got my phone last week and have been using it in the NY/NJ area and I have to say I am VERY impressed with the speed of the Edge network. Its not quite WI-FI but it more than meet my criteria for acceptable web browsing.

This was my # 1 worry coming in and I now can't say enough about the quality of the iPhone.

2. aphexii macrumors 6502

90% of the time, its slow and sucky here in SW Florida.

3. metman787 macrumors member

Yea everyone trashes at&t but in NJ/NY I think it actually works very well. I am very pleased with the service I get around here. Just my two cents

4. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

My only complaint is the initial latency. After it gets going, it seems fine.

~190k in San Diego.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Speed in NYC is much better than I anticipated.

I was in Denver 2 weeks ago and it flew there.

6. alljunks macrumors regular

7. andyh2 macrumors member

NorCal has pretty good speeds, 100-200k usually.

8. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Not bad, I am impressed with the speeds, but you really do need 4 or 5 bars. Some times you can get away with 3.

9. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Albany NY area its not bad, although it really amazes me, one moment I have no bars, than 2 minutes later I have 4 or 5 bars.

There is a serious RF problem, and I have not been able to figure out if its the iPhone or AT&T. I have heard in my area that there network is seriously overloaded, and as more toys "cellphones/PDA's come about" its going to get worse before it gets better. I know that 3G is in the area but as of yet is NOT turned on. I do like going into the AT&T stores and turning wifi off on the iphone and seeing how good reception is.

I have the iphone and so far for the most part I am happy , biggest thing is the signal , lack of functionality in the OS of the device along with 3rd party applications, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that later on this month or next month the 3rd party development will go wide open.

You can tell that some people are NOT going to let this device stay locked, no matter what apple says or does.

Cheers