Speed of Youtube on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimleszczynski, May 20, 2008.

1. jimleszczynski macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

I have not seen another thread on this topic. However, its quite possible I missed it..

I was just curious as to how fast youtube videos download on the iPhone. Any lag period?
    I gave been waiting for iPhone G2 before purchasing. So now I'm doing my homework... (I know, a bit late....)

Basically, just wondering how fast the Safari engine is on the iPhone. I've heard currently (could be wrong...) 14 kbps our the top speeds on the 2G EDGE network, however 3G would increase that to an average of 115 kbps?

Any info would be helpful!

2. bstpierre macrumors 6502

3. neven macrumors 6502a

On WiFi, YouTube videos start at pretty much the same speed as youtube.com on a desktop browser. Depending on your connection, the video in question, and YouTube itself, they'll start right away or after a short delay.

On EDGE, it takes at least a few seconds. Waiting half a minute to a minute isn't surprising.

This has nothing to do with Safari, by the way. YouTube videos open in the YouTube client, so as far as I can tell, the only bottlenecks are a) the QuickTime engine (forget about that - there's no delay from QT at all) and b) your connection.