speed problem with late 2008 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 4fingered, Jan 29, 2009.

1. 4fingered macrumors member

Hi,

I recently updated my software on my late 2008 MBP and since then I have been having a lot of issues with speed. For example when I check for updates it takes for ever and if I try to do anything else while it's checking I get the spinning wheel. Also iphoto and itunes have been struggling to work.

I remember noticing that one of the updates was a Nvidia chipset update. also the other updates that I downloaded were a compressor update and a Qmaster update. There was a safari update but I didn't bother getting that because I don't use it and then there was also a idvd update.

once I restarted for the updates it said that the idvd update was corrupt or something and then when I do a software check again the Qmaster, compressor and idvd updates are still there. (both the Qmaster and compressor update were 2.1)

I'm wondering if anyone else has been haveing issues. maybe it's the recent nvidia update or does it have something to do with compressor and Qmaster?

anyway any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

PS: I don't see anything unusual going on in activity monitor. I'v also noticed that the freezing also happens when I'm just simply looking through my applications in the finder and simple multitasking is almost impossible. (maybe CPU trouble?)

2. 4fingered thread starter macrumors member

well it turns out it was a problem with the hardrive. I rebooted with the OS disc and tried to repair the hardrive. when the repair didn't work I thought "great well now I get to back up my drive and wipe it" but it turns out it's too late the drive is now currupt and I've lost all my info. I can still boot into windows though anyone know if there is any hope for me?

3. Jatku macrumors member

Go into Windows, download MacDrive, and try to get anything you need from the Mac partition.