Speed test request for latest Time Capsule...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by VirtualRain, Oct 26, 2009.

1. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I'm wondering if someone with the latest Time Capsule (announced last week) can post the results of copying a large file (such as your iPhoto library or equivalent - ideally over 500MB) from the HD on your Mac to the HD on the TC over GigE.

Please report the time in seconds for the copy to complete and the size of the file.

I'd like to understand if they changed the QoS on transfers to the TC HD.

Thanks! :)

2. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

If anyone has taken ownership of one of the new TC's... could you please run this simple test over wired ethernet?

3. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Late last week, I purchased a new 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009 version) and compared the data transfer speeds over GigE from my Mac Pro to both Time Capsules.

Early 2009 TC: 38Mbps (5MB/s)

Late 2009 TC: 64Mbps (8MB/s)

So it seems that writing to the TC HD has improved dramatically. This is likely due to a change in the QoS settings...

Back when I purchased my initial TC in April, I complained to the Genius bar about the poor transfer speeds to the TC hard drive... I was told that they throttle transfers to the TC using QoS so that backups don't kill your web surfing experience. It appears they've relaxed these settings with this new version, although it would be ideal to open the settings up to power users.

I also tried setting my Mac Pro NIC to use Jumbo frames but this made no difference implying that the TC still does not support Jumbo frames.

Another interesting characteristic I've noticed when transferring large files to the TC, is that the transfer appears to start off at reasonable speed, slow to a crawl at some point around 50MB (for 10-20 seconds) and then pick up the pace again reaching significantly higher speeds after that. It's bizarre. If the whole file transfer occurred at the latter rate, the overall performance would be much improved!

It's also worth pointing out that the Wifi performance on the new TC is much improved over the old... with my old TC, I had to extend it with an Airport Express to get reliable wireless connectivity in the opposite corner of my 2700sqft home... not anymore. The 5GHz performance is also improved... with the old TC, it was limited to the same room as the TC itself, now it's extended to the adjacent rooms.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Glad to hear about the speed and coverage improvements, although I wonder if it was only a QoS change, though ... that could have been changed via a firmware update. Either way, glad to have the improvements!!!

5. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Thanks a lot for detailing your experience with the new TC. That is definitely good to know performance really have improved. I've been on the fence to get one myself , but been holding off to see some real world user experiences, so thanks for sharing! :)

I guess my only non-essential question would be, does it still get as blazing hot as the previous generation TCs? Well actually, it might be essential, since the last generation TCs have been known to have short life spans.

Anyway, I think I'll go order it when I get home later tonight.

6. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Actually, that's a good point... this new version seems to run much cooler than the old one!

7. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

That's still terribly, terribly slow for a GigE transfer though... I don't own either but was looking to get one. 8MB/sec for a GigE transfer kind've puts me off though....

8. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Agreed. I can understand QoS on the wireless... where Wireless G is only at 54Mbps to start with... but they should open it up for the Ethernet ports.