Speed Test?

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by thomamon, Nov 12, 2015.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Has anyone run speed test on their new Apple TV's? I decided to try today on both of my brand new Apple TVs. I have xFinity with 150Mbps download. Here are the interesting results.

#1 - Upstairs Apple TV, connected wirelessly... Run speed test and its coming in at 150Mpbs+ Down!

#2 - In my basement, connected with a wire. Run speedtest and only getting about 90-95Mbps down. I connected my MBP, go to speedtest, select same server and get the 150Mbps+. I then tried running it wirelessly and the download was only 40-50Mbps. Makes sense tho since its further from the Airport Extreme.

Tonight I am going to swipe the two out and see if there is a difference. Not sure it really matters tho, do I really need more then 100Mbps on an Apple TV? LOL

2. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Considering a Netflix 4K stream only requires around 15Mbps, I'd say you're fine.

3. MrTemple macrumors regular

As has been discussed on this forum, ATV4 only has 100mbit ethernet. If you think you want full ~800mbit 802.11ac speeds on your local network, and don't mind the increased latency, you can disconnect the ethernet cable.

4. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Wow, so the wireless is actually faster?

5. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

Correct

6. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I am trying to make sense of that lol

7. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

It's the future, I hope I'm still kicking when the day comes that we need wires for nothing, not power, not interconnects, nothing I tells ya :D

8. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I prefer wires to be honest... Don't trust wireless 100% yet!

9. MrTemple macrumors regular

There's very little reason to choose wireless over wired for the ATV4 (aside from convenience), ditto for wireless over wired.

1. The latency will be a tiny, tiny bit better over ethernet, and there will be effectively no chance of interference.

2. The wireless speed will only be noticeable under two conditions: A) you've got greater than 100mbit internet connection, so downloading extra assets for games will be a little bit faster (streaming movies won't make a difference), and B) streaming locally will cache the movie much faster (after Apple fixes the local streaming cache bug), but this won't dramatically change the movie viewing experience, as scrubbing to uncached portions of the movie is super fast now (unlike the ATV3).

10. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

To be completely honest I barely see a difference in the speed of the latency when I do speed test between ethernet and Wireless

11. watermelonbook macrumors regular

well... let me throw in another rant about the the ATV4.

Apple deleted bluetooth keyboard support.

Then they chose not to give ATV4 4k support(no biggie to me, at least).

And now I'm hearing that the ethernet is only 100mbps and not 1 gigabit?

12. err404 macrumors 68020

Unless you are having issues with wireless (due to range, congestion or cheap router), don't bother with wired. A modern router will have no issues providing a fast, stable, low latency connection for video streaming.
    The only exception might be for heavy AirPlay screen casting where the shaving off 1-2 ms might be helpful.

13. watermelonbook macrumors regular

true... but my ATV4 is located almost 120 feet from my wireless router.(through 8 or 9 interior walls) I have ethernet wired to every room, so I plug the ATV4 to the ethernet jack, instead of using wireless. Although I suppose 100mbps ehternet jack is already more than plenty for the most extreme video streaming.

14. watermelonbook macrumors regular

true... but my ATV4 is located almost 120 feet from my wireless router.(through 8 or 9 interior walls) I have ethernet wired to every room, so I plug the ATV4 to the ethernet jack, instead of using wireless. Although I suppose 100mbps ehternet jack is already more than plenty for the most extreme video streaming.

15. MrTemple macrumors regular

Yep, you'd have a somewhat difficult time creating a test where hitting the 100mbps cap would have a noticeable effect on the ATV.

16. iwan073 macrumors regular

iwan073

When I wire it to my AirPort Extreme I get just under 100Mbps, but using 5Ghz WiFi I get 200Mbps.