Speed Tests of new MacBook Pros

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamjackson, Mar 21, 2009.

1. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Has there been a complete published report on speed tests on Apple's 2009 MBP models?

I just ordered one but I wanted to find out what I"ll be getting into. Plus, it won't be here until Thursday and the anticipation is killing!

MBP 15" 2.93Ghz w/ 6gbs of Ram from Crucial.com
    +256GB SSD from Apple

I'm planning on running Windows Vista Ultimate via BootCamp. I know that's specific but I'm upgrading from a 2.6Ghz MBP (April, 08)

Wish there was some site where I could just drop down my old computer and my new computer and see how they both compare in raw speed tests.

2. xoggyux macrumors 6502

You going to get a rocket!
    anyway avoid windows and SSD, thats a terrible combination, and if you do need windows then disable page file, limit temp/cache/indexing and everything you can think of that access write/read to the hardrive (in your case ssd) check forums to see what exactly to disable. If not the performance of the SSD will quickly drop and it will wear out faster (do not know how fast, but yeah)
    If possible keep windows to a different drive (old fashion hardrive)

3. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure tomshardware.com does this but at a component level, not so much the whole computer.

4. adamjackson thread starter macrumors 65816

I see. I've seen bits about that and how Windows doesn't play well with SSD. I love the Mac OS but I have to use Windows full time for work. I use windows on my mac now via boot camp and the sleep mode, multi touch trackpad and other things just don't work as they should.

I'll look into SSDs w/ Windows Vista to see if there are any optimization steps that help the SSD last longer and at peek performance.

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

agreed. just get a regular external and keep all windows stuff on it.

your computer is going to be pretty fast.

here are a couple benchmarks tho of the 2.66ghz

http://www.macworld.com/article/139139/2009/03/unibody_17_inch_macbook_pro.html

6. adamjackson thread starter macrumors 65816

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

8. xoggyux macrumors 6502

If you got an external monitor try using VMware instead (with "unity" you can make the external monitor to show you the windows virtual machine, and it will feel just like if you had a second computer right in front of you (you can actually drag and drop stuff from OS X to windows in a blink of an eye)) also for work I doubt you will be using games which is the downside of VMware also it will be easy to configure a virtual machine to run off an external drive (or if you do not need a very fast computer you can run windows off a memory stick or flash drive) anyway whatever you do I think the effect windows will have to your SSD will be diminished if ran trough a emulation program (still I believe that if you should disable the page file, indexing and most temp and run whatever you can off external solutions)