Speed up a 800Mhz G4 PowerMac..?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by drjarv05, Jun 9, 2012.

1. drjarv05 macrumors newbie

drjarv05

I have an old 2002 Quicksilver G4 800Mhz single running Tiger 10.4.11 an was wondering what I can do to speed it up? It's starting to get really sluggish with just about everything I do on it.. I'm hoping to replace it later this year with something newer but in the mean time would like to maybe do some upgrades to it... Any suggestions? Thanks! :)

2. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Max out your RAM, get a better video card. You can install Leopard on it with LeopardAssist, but Tiger will run better on that single processor than Leopard. You can also look out for a processor upgrade on ebay. According to lowendmac.com there are many compatible dual processors for your mac, but finding them these days is not easy.

3. drjarv05 thread starter macrumors newbie

drjarv05

What kind of video card can/should I get for it? I have considered putting Leopard on it but since Tiger is kind of sluggish on it, I assume Leopard would be so much worse since it's so much relies on your graphics. An do you think a Dual is better than a single even if it's a faster speed on the single? If that made any since.

4. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Here's my recommendations:

1) Upgrade your CPU to a Dual 1GHz: $30

2) Max your RAM to 1.5GB: $25 per 512MB DIMM

3) Optimize OS X

Your PowerMac will feel like it's on steroids.

5. drjarv05 thread starter macrumors newbie

drjarv05

Thanks! I will have to look into this.. Would it run good on Leopard? Would be nice to have some updated software that doesn't support Tiger. Also what would you recommend for a video card? It currently has the stock I believe ATI 7500 32MB in it with no core image support at all.

6. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

With a dual 1GHz G4, it'd run Leopard no problem. In regards to the video card, you could check out getting an nVidia 7800GS--->Here.

The 7800GS is one of the fastest cards available that's compatible with your G4. It also provides Core Image hardware acceleration, so it will speed up your OS as well. In order to use it in your G4, you'll need to disable 2 pins on the GPU. There's a tutorial on the product page I linked you. That seller is very good. I purchased my ATI Radeon HD 5770 from him for my Mac Pro and it works great.

7. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

i have a 933 in my g4 u think it would be a notiable upgrade i am thinking about grabbing one :)

8. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Here's a screenshot of GeekBench scores between the two models. Granted, benchmarks don't always prove performance, but it's obvious there's a power increase (60% or so). For $30, you can't go wrong.

Attached Files:

9. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

Thx bro!

10. drjarv05 thread starter macrumors newbie

drjarv05

I'll check it out cause 32MB VRAM is not cutting it at all... Thanks so much for your help! :))

11. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Always happy to help.