Speed Up iPhone "Backup" Time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ViViDboarder, Jul 24, 2008.

1. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I noticed that this used to take forever for me and for a lot of people and I just did something that cut it down A LOT. Now it goes in about 20 seconds rather than 10 minutes.

Currently, iTunes hasn't been syncing all my apps properly. I tell it to sync them but after the sync and long backups, they don't show in my iTunes. So I went and downloaded all the ones that didn't sync from the iTunes store on my laptop. So now both iTunes and my iPhone show the same apps.

This sped mine up a lot, like I said. It may have something to do with if they don't show in sync, it re-downloads all apps from the iPhone on it's backup process, even if it has done it before. So by DLing them on the computer it no longer has a need to. :D

Hope that helps!

2. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Hmm good call, I noticed that a bunch of my apps were not on that this. I will try this and see. That 20 min backup/sync is just to much.

3. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Just went though and manually downloaded the app's that were not displaying before and the sync went 100 times faster. Excellent call my friend.

4. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I haven't had a problem at all with the backup time. It's usually taken me between 30seconds to 1 minute to sync everything including all of the photos. The only time it took longer than that was the first sync I did after I first plugged it into my computer. (obviously)

5. CyberGreg macrumors regular

I too have very fast backups and also download all the apps into iTunes and let them install onto my phone through the sync.

Clearly onto something...

6. jacksam101 macrumors member

Same as above poster - not noticed any delay when syncing, backup seems very quick.

I also only installed apps through iTunes and only have 5 that I use.

7. Olleh macrumors member

8. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

OP's right.
    Back-ups go rather quickly when both iTunes and iPhone have the same Apps/ iTunes has all of your Apps in it.

9. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I wish that were the key to speeding up backups for me. I just checked all my apps, and as I thought, all of my apps have been installed via iTunes rather than direct download on the iPhone, and so all my apps were present in both places.

A sync takes about 30-40 minutes with me (unless I cancel the backup). But I think I'll just have to resign myself to the fact that this will be sorted out in 2.0.1 or 2.1, whichever comes first. I can't wait until it comes as, according to Apple's new ads, my GPS will also take 1/20th of the time to locate me. :rolleyes:

10. ViViDboarder thread starter macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Wow, that's really strange. This definitely soved it for me and some other users... I think it's to do with iTunes in the case of having to sync them manualy and probably a further bug in your case.

Sorry I couldn't be of help to you.

11. spetykowski macrumors member

these backups seem to take hours rather than minuets. i've gotten so fed up with them, that i just skip them all together, espically when i just want to add a song or two, to my iPhone.

12. sibruk macrumors 6502a

I hold you personally responsible. ;) No problems, it was worth a try, and seems to be working for others!

13. SlapMonkey macrumors regular

No, it doesn't work that way. I've always had the same apps on both iTunes and the iPhone (why you guys didn't already have this is beyond me, you should ALWAYS transfer your purchases from your iPhone to you iTunes as a backup!)

The backups were taking long at first but the more you back up (with the same apps installed) the quicker the backups eventually get. The moment you change anything drastic (like installing a whole new app) then the backup will be slow again at first, but will go by more quickly each time you backup.

Remember also, when backing up, you are backing up any saved games or changes in an app (such as any tasks created in the database of an app like Omnifocus) so depending on how many changes you have across all of your apps will determine how long your backups will take. If there are no major changes, your backups will go quicker.

14. ViViDboarder thread starter macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I realize this I was referring to the people that consitently have this issue. There has been a bug for me and others with it not syncing apps and then taking longer backup time.

15. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

haha mine was brutal last night night, over 2 hours! So i restored the phone then restored a backup and didn't sync and it was super quick.

Then selectively added a few apps that i really use and it seems better now. only about 20 min for a full backup