Speed up Lion by 16GB RAM

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by alienatf, Apr 24, 2012.

1. alienatf macrumors member

Hi!

Just installed into my macbook pro 15 i7 2.3 quad core 16gb ram.

It seems that 10gb ram are free.

is there and trick lika RAM drive or something that can increase my laptop's speed?

2. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

I'm not sure if you can fudge anything.

As far as I know, the computer will use as much RAM as it needs... If it needs more, it will use more.

It seems you've gone overkill on the amount of RAM you've thrown in, unless you do very intense tasks (video editing etc).

3. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

What do you mean increase its speed? You have a i7 2.3 quad core..? If you mean start up times and shut down times/ opening apps that has to do with your hard drive. Upgrading to an SSD will give you significant speed boosts. Swap your superdrive with an optibay and swap in a SSD if your looking for speed.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That simply means you're not putting enough demands on your RAM with your current workload. It may be that your normal workload requires only 8GB of RAM. To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Adding more RAM is not a magical speed boost. It merely allows more data to be loaded into RAM before swapping out to virtual memory. If you weren't using the 4GB or whatever you had before fully, your computer won't be any faster with 16GB. In fact, it'll probably boot just a bit slower, because it spends more time checking the RAM before it passes the Power-On Self Test (POST).

jW

6. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Open and start working in Aperture 3 and PS CS5 or 6. Bye bye RAM. Don't worry about having too much RAM. When you need it you really need it.

7. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

You might have unrealistic expectations or defective hardware.