Speed up possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Any reason for the MBP i5 to be slower than usual?

For eg. The downloads Grid folder, the icons take a while to open, can anything be done or checked to see why it's slower than it used to be. Still have about 260GB left on my 320GB? They used to be instant when I opened the blue folder in the dock for downloads, all icons visible?

Is it normal for them to slow up 8 or so months in

2. simsaladimbamba

Maybe your RAM is filled up?

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Something else would have to be on and working for the RAM to be full, no?
    Just thought I may have picked something up from the web that's slowed things up...

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried the tips I posted?

5. simsaladimbamba

Have you looked at Activity Monitor and the tips Mister GGJstudios posted yet? Otherwise it is all guessing, and that brings us nowhere.

6. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys, yes have done all I can, and acted on most of those tips.

I posted up few weeks ago my Activity Monitor grab because I was unsure what most meant, but nobody replied to it, so not sure about it really. That was battery related though not relevant to this one.

What should I be looking for in particular that can explain something on the Activity Monitor, the page ins/outs should be what?

Example.. These folder icons used to appear instantly, but now takes a minute or two for icon to fill in, and there's not much in that download folder anyway.

[​IMG]

7. simsaladimbamba

Open Activity Monitor and change the views like in my screenshot and make a screenshot and attach it.

8. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Where as there was a delay of those icons downloading, today they're not loading at all?

Here is current screen shot, obviously it doesn't keep still and the list and the page ins and outs counts vary constantly

Anything look untoward here?

Thanks for you help.

[​IMG]

9. simsaladimbamba

Sort by CPU usage, like my screenshot.

As you can see, CPU is used for QuickLook, rendering all the little previews. Maybe disable Finder > CMD+J > Show icon preview or close all Finder windows.

10. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, does seem to be getting worse....

I thought Macs work in the background with scripts clean ups, so you don't need to worry about clean ups like you did on Windows, but it does need some sort of clean up, I'm guessing, as it's freezing on folders and not opening icons,

Not sure about shutting Finder, does it matter on these. just taken a couple within few secs of each other. I've opened Word, Safari and Mail so you can see my typical work load. But when everything was closed, and just turn on from fresh they're still not loading up the images/icons in folders

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Anyone know what I should be looking for here and what any of it means?

12. simsaladimbamba

I don't see any problems in your screenshots.

Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?

Maybe your account is corrupted or fracked up.

Btw, have you looked at Mister GGJstudios' link yet? And what steps in that guide did you perform to what end?

13. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

When I open a doc folder it does the same thing yes, they will open but it will take a few minutes. And it used to be instant. I have done all the things in that link yes. Don't see any difference at all though...

14. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

What do you mean by this, Isn't this something that happens to Windows users... or is not a defrag type thing? GGJ said that Macs have scripts that run in the background to clean up etc. How can I check that it is?

15. simsaladimbamba

It can happen on Mac OS X too, if you do something that might have caused that. As I don't know, what you do with your Mac on a daily basis, it was just a guess. To be honest, I am a bit lost with your problem, as I never had that one.
    If you have all your data backed up, maybe you can do a clean install of Mac OS X.
    Not a defrag thing. This widget can show you, when the scripts ran.

16. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

OK, thanks. What's the norm on SL, do they run daily or weekly automatically and as we don't know when they're running, what happens if we shut down when it is?

17. simsaladimbamba

There is a daily script, a weekly script and a monthly script.
    They are scheduled to run at night, but if the computer is shut off, then the script runs the next time the computer is on.

As you have Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, you could first just try to reinstall Mac OS X, as that will not delete your data and just repair damaged files.

18. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh right, so it won't go over anything it shouldn't.. I'll search for how to do that then, thanks