Speedier broadband standards? FCC says 25Mbps is fast enough

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Gutwrench, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Interesting article.

https://arstechnica.com/information...tandards-pais-fcc-says-25mbps-is-fast-enough/

2. 400 macrumors 6502

Interesting, keeping the spread sheet happy?
    Cant remember being that slow. I know people in the UK have an issue getting better than 2 or 3 but that is the Telco not policy.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

To be fair, 25 Mbps is pretty fast in most of the world. You can't really compare to some small country with less population than a large city in the US...

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

25 mbps should be the bare minimum. Not "fast enough".

5. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

I live in a small Portuguese island in the middle of the Atlantic and on Friday my cable operator will increase my internet from 200Mbps to 1Gbps.

6. vkd, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018

vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

I'm in Rio de Janeiro with 10 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload. I've had it about 3 years now. The plans they sell today are either 35, 60, 120 or 240 Mbps. I don't feel any need to change plans, my wife and I are happy with 10 Mbps home Wifi. One thing is, with a higher value you pay a higher price, but for what real benefit? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

7. 907 Suspended

video streaming works fine at lower speeds than that, I don't see the need for it. Maybe something will change to where a need will become obvious, but it seems like the pace of change has dropped a lot over the last few years as technology has matured.

8. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

not at 4k it doesn't.

and downloading a ps4 game is a chore at low speeds and a blink of an eye at faster speeds.

9. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Up until this month I've been limited to 10mb snail slow fibre with Sky broadband, but I've just got a new fibre cable put in so I can now get 1Gb for £50 a month.

I went for their lower end 150Mb for £27/m. It's fine for now I guess ;)