Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
I definately do things I shouldnt and speed regularly (actually, not so much these days, more I used to speed regularly and that is only on the motorways, not through town), however when I get caught I put my hands up and say 'Fair cop gov'. Unfortunately we seem to live in a world where no-one is willing to take responsibility for their own actions any more.

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
Sorry but you sound like a dangerous driver to me. Why the rush to get everywhere, productivity? So you can spend 5 more minutes having a dump or watching the tube at journeys end? Luckily, I've never run anyone over or caused an accident by driving over the speed limit, which I admit I do, who doesnt? Usually it's only 35 in a 30 or 80 in a 70 and I always apply the advice my Dad gave to me when I was learning to drive- 'Treat everyone else on the road as if they are idiots that are trying to crash into you'.

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
More whining from the moral consensus!

Another one. All I'm saying is that there are more important things to get heated about. What about you (And me) asking where does the wood for my stove come from? Am I destroying lives or the environment in my choice of car and clothes? etc etc. Everyone is giving him a hard time about an incident where nothing happened and yet we are all actually harming ourselves and strangers in real ways by buying sweatshop made trainers, buying the cheapest stere of wood rather than asking where it came from, who's affected. And as for "taking responsibility" that's what I'm talking about. Lets get our focus on the big stuff first.
It's like being lectured by Sarkozy or Chirac. They're morally crippled soulless creeps and yet they tell you how to live. Introduce laws that control you just a little bit more than last year. And instead of focusing on that and whoever it may be in your own country it's "You broke the letter of the law" Who cares? If it's dangerous; that's another matter but in France the speed cops are always hiding at the bottom of hills - not outside schools. Let's keep with the big stuff eh?

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
Sideonecincy said:
It is, I live like on the border of Indiana/Ohio and I think part of Indiana speed limit is 70...I was always told you could do 7 over on highway and 5 over in city and wouldn't get pulled over. So doing 77 is almost equal to doing 80 to me
Love the reasoning. :rolleyes:
How about this.... Ohio borders Michigan. Michigan is 75. Plus 7 is 82. Round up. Tack on an extra 7. 107 is almost 110...

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
To the OP, just pay the fine. It's a PITA but a fact of life, I'm not gonna say anything about your speeding as without all the facts I don't know whether you were being unreasonably dangerous or not, but you admit to traveling faster than the posted speed limit so you broke the law. It doesn't matter that the law is there more for revenue collection than safety in some instances it there. Unless you want to prove the posted speed limit is wrong you have no case.

crap freakboy said:
...Luckily, I've never run anyone over or caused an accident by driving over the speed limit, which I admit I do, who doesnt?...
It's not just luck. In the UK driving above the speed limit is recorded as the cause of just 5% of road accidents. Most people drive above legal limits at times, I do probably every single day and I never had a crash because of it. I don't think I'm particularly lucky. I feel more guilty about driving tired 'casue that's far more dangerous.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Well first off you where speeding and you got caught. I have been there done that. Deferred adjudication could be one of your options to keep it off your recorded. Keeping it off your record or paying the fine will cost you about the same. I got 3 speeding ticket in 2 weeks a year ago, it was a very long and crappy 2 weeks for me and the speeding tickets where just a small part of it and they where mostly just bad luck and 2 of them where honest mistakes. All 3 where kept off my record at about a total cost of $1000 which is a small price to pay in the long run. It not cheap but well worth it. For me it was 1 defenses driving and 2 Deferred adjudications.

One of you first mistake was posting it on a forum and asking for help on it because one thing I noticed across almost all internet forums is people will get a stick up their rear and get on a high horse. They will trash talk you and call you a bad driver. It is never worth posting it on an internet forum because you will get flamed left and right (and this thread is a key example.) People get all high and mighty when it comes to this and in reality several of them more than likely have gotten a speeding it or at least speed and just have not gotten caught.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
bartelby said:
It's just we think people should admit they were wrong and suffer the consequences when they're caught. Instead of trying to find a way out of it.

Exactly.

Anyway... it's a well known fact that drivers with a no less/or no more than 3 penalty points on their licences are the bestest drivers in all the world!!!! :D

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
iGav said:
Exactly.

Anyway... it's a well known fact that drivers with a no less/or no more than 3 penalty points on their licences are the bestest drivers in all the world!!!! :D

I have so far had none, and I had my license since last August, so...

Not that I haven't been distracted once or twice.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
benthewraith said:

I got mine for avoiding an accident... the irony hey.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Henri Gaudier said:
I'm always amazed how conservative and obedient contributors are.
Every time someone does something a bit wrong the nasties just start crawling out. Christ! Aren't we hemmed in enough without their sanctimonious hollow mewling?

Henri Gaudier said:
And as for "taking responsibility" that's what I'm talking about. Lets get our focus on the big stuff first.

No no, you're right. Next time I get hit by a car while on my bike I won't blame the driver for not paying attention or even looking ahead of him, I'll blame myself for not focusing on the big picture. I mean, come on, why care about his speeding and listening to distractingly loud music when his shoes were made in China?

Sheesh. You're comparing apples to oranges here, and trying to assert that there's some sort of moral equivalence, or that taking care in one area means neglect in another, which is just really a way for you to avoid personal responsibility in all areas, isn't it? If you can come up with something worse to worry about all the time, why worry about anything at all, ever?

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Just say you effed up, do some community service, and get on with your life.

Sideonecincy said:
I hardly find 51 to be considered to be highway speeds, I considered 80 to be highway speeding...
Head out in West Texas, the limit is 80 and there are no cops.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
benthewraith said:

Do not forget it only takes a split second distraction for you to becoming involved in a major accident. That is what happen to my brother about a year ago. He was distracted by something in his car for one second and after that second he was going off the road. He corrected to get back on the road and started going into a fish tail. Over corrected and went fish tailed the other way. Went across 4 lanes (2 of which where oncoming) to the other side of the road. The call rolled twice and totaled the car. He did walk away from the wreck with nothing more than 2 minor scratches on him. But the fact stands that it was a minor distraction that started the entire chain of events.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
bartelby said:
Ah, but how fast did you avoid the accident?

I was overtaking at about 75mph (well within the 10% of the speed limit infringement that a traffic cop would give you) on the motorway, some lady thought she should be on the same part of road as me, so she started to move across without looking, pushing me onto the gravel in the central reservation.

I had 3 choices...

• Brake... very, very heavily with my 2 wheels in the gravel. I've never tried braking a car from 70+mph with the two left wheels on tarmac, and two on gravel.
• Maintain my position and wait for her to hit me because braking would be dangerous, and accelerating would involved me really braking the speed limit.
• Put my foot down and clear the dozy cow, thus avoiding the accident.

I chose the 3rd one, I got 'detected' by a Mobile Camera unit doing 83mph. which I did for about 2 seconds, whilst getting out of her way.

The picture the mobile unit would have had, would've been me doing 83mph with some car behind me, not me being pushed into the central reservation by someone that doesn't know how to drive because I wasn't doing 83mph at that moment.

And that's my biggest issue with speed cameras. They do nothing to improve the standards of driving on the roads. A traffic cop would be able to distinguish the difference between myself just speeding, and of having to speed to avoid an accident.

A traffic camera cannot.

Next time I'll let them hit me. And I'll feign injury. And I'll be on one of those claims direct adverts. :D

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
iGav said:
I was overtaking at about 75mph (well within the 10% of the speed limit infringement that a traffic cop would give you) on the motorway, some lady thought she should be on the same part of road as me, so she started to move across without looking, pushing me onto the gravel in the central reservation.

I had 3 choices...

• Brake... very, very heavily with my 2 wheels in the gravel. I've never tried braking a car from 70+mph with the two left wheels on tarmac, and two on gravel.
• Maintain my position and wait for her to hit me because braking would be dangerous, and accelerating would involved me really braking the speed limit.
• Put my foot down and clear the dozy cow, thus avoiding the accident.

I chose the 3rd one, I got 'detected' by a Mobile Camera unit doing 83mph. which I did for about 2 seconds, whilst getting out of her way.

The picture the mobile unit would have had, would've been me doing 83mph with some car behind me, not me being pushed into the central reservation by someone that doesn't know how to drive because I wasn't doing 83mph at that moment.

And that's my biggest issue with speed cameras. They do nothing to improve the standards of driving on the roads. A traffic cop would be able to distinguish the difference between myself just speeding, and of having to speed to avoid an accident.

A traffic camera cannot.

Next time I'll let them hit me. And I'll feign injury. And I'll be on one of those claims direct adverts. :D

I think you had a justifiable reason to contest that!!

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
bartelby said:
I think you had a justifiable reason to contest that!!

I did consider it. But after reading the small print I thought better of it.

The 'evidence' would have shown me doing 83mph, at which point I was ahead of her.

I had no witness details of other drivers that potentially may have seen it.

The women would never have admitted driving me off the road.

So it would've ended up being a her word versus mine situation, and that's had they have been able to get her reg plate from my photo in the first place, which is unlikely.

The only option I had was to suck it up and take it, because the appeal process could've been potentially more expensive. Significantly so. It only cost me £60 I think, though the infringment wasn't high enough to warrant having to attend one of those ridiculous 'Speed Kills' courses unfortunately, because I'd have quite liked that.

And in the grand scheme of things, 3 points makes no difference, it adds a couple of quid to your insurance. That's about it.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Pay the man, or take a driver's training course if your state allows it (after three tickets in less than two years, they may not). And slow down, dammit!

You should also get rid of that radar detector. I don't know why any state still allows people to have them in their cars.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
iGav said:
I did consider it. But after reading the small print I thought better of it.

The 'evidence' would have shown me doing 83mph, at which point I was ahead of her.

I had no witness details of other drivers that potentially may have seen it.

The women would never have admitted driving me off the road.

So it would've ended up being a her word versus mine situation, and that's had they have been able to get her reg plate from my photo in the first place, which is unlikely.

The only option I had was to suck it up and take it, because the appeal process could've been potentially more expensive. Significantly so. It only cost me £60 I think, though the infringment wasn't high enough to warrant having to attend one of those ridiculous 'Speed Kills' courses unfortunately, because I'd have quite liked that.

And in the grand scheme of things, 3 points makes no difference, it adds a couple of quid to your insurance. That's about it.

Sorry to read that mate, sods law...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.