speeding up an iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BigTroll, Apr 11, 2010.

1. BigTroll macrumors member

hello i have a iBook and its alittle slow running macrumors i put on click to flash which has helped some, but i was wondering with the ATI Rage Mobility if theres a hack to enable quartz extreme to make the graphics go faster?
    I included a picture of the desktop and the iBook itself which i customized

Attached Files:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, there is no way to make that thing faster.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

You could run Adblock Plus since you are using Firefox. Click Tools and than Add-ons and do a search for the above app.

Disable your Spotlight and Dashboard. Other than that, there's not much else you can do.

Troll! :p

4. California macrumors 68040

California

Funny, I have a problem with my mac mini 2.26 and I'm relegated to using my iBook G4 1.33...

The memory on this thing is only 768mb.

I dropped a 320gb hard drive in it, though.

I am completely impressed with it's speed running 10.5.8

The only bump the blueberry iBook owner can get is a bigger faster hard drive.

I am wondering if my iBook is performing so well right now because of the large hard drive...

I have dashboard disabled. Not spotlight.

I find that it is my HP scanner/printer that hogs A LOT of CPU and always have to quit it.

Other than this, it is surprisingly fast.

OP should get a new hard drive.

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yeah I have a slow 4,200rpm drive in my PB and that is "slowing" it down. What is the size of the OP's HDD? I sure hope it's not the stock 10gb? A faster drive or larger capacity will definitely speed things up. I'm going to be installing Compact Flash in my Powerbook to help speed things up a big ;)

6. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Your stuck with the ram maxed out,it is only a 366Mhz,I used a couple 466Mhz iBooks with maxed out ram till I got my MB,they ran it fine,but 366 is extremely slow these days.