Speeding up boot on MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UncleSchnitty, Oct 24, 2013.

1. UncleSchnitty macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

I have started to notice that boot times on my MacPro have slowed down alot. I hadn't noticed for the longest time because I usually let it sleep instead of shutdown but now I boot to my windows drive more often to play games and I noticed its a lot slower then it was. It used to boot completely in about 25-30 seconds now it takes about a min.
    Things Ive done so far.
    -I have deleted unwanted startup items.
    -Checked permissions and check disk.
    -My desktop only has my drives on it.
    -I have reopen applications on boot disabled.
    -I reset pram

Some things to note are:
    -I just Installed Mavericks
    -I just Installed a new video card (nvidia 660)
    -Windows is on its own separate hdd

Im not really worried about windows boot time at all the only thing I really want to know is if there is anything else I can do to speed up my OSX boot time. Any help would be appreciated as always

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I find if you have multiple boot volumes the boot manager takes forever to load.

My Mac Pro spends at least a minute loading the boot screen (pre-Apple logo), and then with an SSD it's boots up to desktop almost immediately.

If I remove the extra HDDs, it boots up immediately.

3. winston1236 macrumors 68000

Install OS and apps on a solid state.

4. UncleSchnitty thread starter macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

winston1236: That's next on the list. Im putting in a Samsung Sata Ssd, I looked into OWC's pci Ssd but I cant justify the price difference.
    Before I get the upgrade I want to have my system as snappy as possible so I'm not bringing a junked up OS over to a SSD and being dissapointed

5. UncleSchnitty thread starter macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

It's the time between the chime and desktop that takes ~45seconds. That's what I want to get back to its normal boot speed. I don't know if anything can be done to speed that up.

6. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Periodically I do a full erase and clean install of the OS and apps and made sure I have a backup clone. I also use Disk Warrior to rebuild the HD directory occasionally. An Apple tech guy told me sometimes our HD tends to slow down on boot ups as we add/delete files thru a long period of time. And under System Prefs, accounts, I try to minimize the "login items"