Speeding up mac.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phil87, Sep 8, 2013.

1. phil87 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am trying to work out ways to speed up my Macbook Pro and wondered if anyone had a any good ideas?

I am going to remove some of my photos, music etc.. as I currently on have only 50gb left on a 300gb drive, which i hope will make a big difference, but I wanted to know if there are any 'clean up' type processes I could do to get its performance back to the level when I bought it!

Thanks. :)

2. simsaladimbamba

50 GB is more than enough free storage capacity to let a computer not slow down. Freeing up more storage capacity will not "make a big difference".

As for finding why your Mac is slow, if it really is, use Activity Monitor.

If you want to enhance the performance of your Mac, be sure to check these two articles, do not just use applications, that promise to do it for you.

Articles explaining why Mac OS X does not need maintenance software like CCleaner, MacKeeper or CleanMyMac:

3. ronjon10 macrumors regular

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Man will it ever. Just the SSD alone would make anyone smile.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

It's a little hard to say since you didn't provide any specs about the machine. You could have memory issues or it could be a slow disk drive. Activity monitor will tell you if you have memory issues. If that's ok then a SSD is one of the best upgrades you can make for speed. Most people don't push the CPU that hard.

6. ronjon10 macrumors regular

Yep, I've got 8gb ram + SSD on an older low end 2008 or 9 MbP, it screams. Granted I don't use it for video or audio encoding. I do use it for photo editing and it works very well.

7. simsaladimbamba

Not really, and they are not that simple to an average user.

First one has to determine, if it is fragmentised. Then one most probably sees, it is not.
    Unnecessary.

Files left behind in the Library folder do not interfere with other applications or the OS.

Why?

Why? Cache actually enhances the speed, recreating it after having been deleted will slow the Mac down, but then again, it is CORRUPTED.

Depending on the LOGIN item, yes. Or no.

Why?

So you are a SPAMMER? What if my iTunes is slow? Come one, you got a link for that too, don't ya?