Speeding up my mac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macusersince200, Jul 12, 2010.

1. macusersince200 macrumors newbie

I recently (in the 45 days) bought a 27" iMac with 2.66GHZ Quad Core processor and 8GB Ram.

I use it for minor video editing (with quicktime), some screen recording with Snapz, chatting service, a FireFox browser and multiple safari windows+tabs open.

However, I have noticed that the machine has slowed down. For example, when I switch tabs or Command+T for a new tab, it gives me the spinning multicolor ball.

There are several other problems such as delays when I click on icons, or pick "I" and "O" points in Quicktime, etc.

Any suggestions as to how I could solve this?

Thanks,

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Check your RAM usage from Activity Monitor, also look at the page outs. Might be that you are running low on RAM thus 8GB shouldn't hurt

3. macusersince200 thread starter macrumors newbie

I check the ActMonitor often and at most I am using 4GB.

When I called Apple to complain about the problems I listed above, among others they told me to do the same thing.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you are using 4GB and you have 4GB, it's not a surprise that you are having slowdowns. An extra 2x2GB shouldn't hurt, bringing the total to 8GB

5. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Do the slowdowns occur during scree recording? A live recording would tax the computer's hd, which would in turn slow everything else down on the computer.

6. vixducis macrumors regular

Please read the original post again... he already has 8GB of RAM.

7. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Could be a background program or utility that eats up CPU cycles or it could be HD. Id run a full hard drive test. Typically, when a hard drive starts going bad one of the earliest signs is slower performance.