Speedlite advice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Drag'nGT, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I'm looking to get my first speedlite and I'm not interested in spending $200+ on a light that I only want to use occasionally.

I have read a lot about why I need to skip the current 270ex... But I don't see anything like "Speedlites on a budget" :D when I'm looking around online.

What are some other models (non canon/older) that people have been happy with in the past that someone like me would see as a good buy to have on certain occasions?

How's the 380ex? etc..?

Thank you for your help and advice.

I have a 50D in case that matters.

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

You can have the most fun with a Speedlite if you use it off of the camera, so I would recommend getting an inexpensive manual flash that has a PC-Sync or MiniJack port for connecting a flash receiver. Unless you're doing a lot of event work or other kind of shooting in a fast-moving, changing environment, you don't really need TTL (automatic flash exposure), which adds a lot to the price of a flash and in most cases gets you a flash that cannot be used off-camera very easily.

The flash itself could be as cheap as $90 new for a Vivitar 285HV, but then you're getting something with questionable build quality. For the same amount you could get a well-built, but underpowered Nikon flash used on eBay (the brand doesn't matter if you'll be using it off-camera). Or if you're willing to spend as much as $160, you can get a brand new LumoPro LP160, which has the same guide numbers as the Canon 580EX II (so it's quite powerful). I'd recommend the latter. You can still fire it from your camera's hotshoe; you'll just have to select its power and zoom settings manually using the buttons on the flash.

You can pick up cheap trigger/receiver sets on eBay or else go with something a little nicer (like Cybersyncs) and still not spend a lot on the wireless triggering.

However, if you really just want to stick the flash on your camera and have everything be automatic, then just try to get the cheapest Canon Speedlite you can find used on eBay after consulting this site for details about them.

3. Drag'nGT thread starter macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Thanks. I'm not really interested in off camera flash at the moment but I know that if I was I need to be buying a master light like the 580ex in order to slave something to it.

Right now I'm looking to have a better flash than on camera, bounce option, and faster recharge.

Thank you for the link and two lights to look at. Those discontinued Speedlites in that link will help me out a ton since I didn't know all the old model numbers. And I'll be sticking with a Canon flash because I'll want to keep the control automatic and simple.

4. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

No, all you would need is a wireless trigger/receiver set. Cheap ones on eBay start at about $20, but a decent Cybersync set is only about $130 and would be much more durable and reliable.

5. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

The 380ex is quite good, but it only moves the flash head up/down. You may be better off looking at the 430 Mk1.

6. iSax1234 macrumors regular

7. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I was asking this same thing about a week ago. I ended up just getting a new 430EX II and have been very pleased with it so far. Of course, I have no clue how to actually use it properly :p It's a learning experience for me.

8. hhski macrumors newbie

270ex

The downside to a large light is it's size. On both my bodies I can control flash intensity from the body I can bounce. It is best for fill light. If I don't need it it can go in my pocket. Where a PS camera and flash work this is even better. I use it more than my 580 ex on a 5d2 and 1d3. Best bang for the buck

9. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I disagree. While the 270EX might be small and cheap, I'd hardly call it best bang for the buck. For me the most versatile flash I have is the Nissin Di866. About the same price as the 480EX, but with PC sync, dumb slave mode and wireless slave mode. And for best bang for the buck I'd pick the newly released Di622 mk2, which takes the concept of the original Di622 and adds PC sync port and 3.5mm sync port.

10. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

What kind of things are you seeing yourself using the flash for?

I normally carry the 270EX around for fill-in lighting or indoor use, but use a 580EX for weddings, big groups, beaches, etc.

You can bounce the 270EX off the ceiling with the camera in "landscape" (horizontal, normal) position but the head doesn't swivel if you turn the camera through 90 degrees.

The 580EX is huge. The 270EX will fit in your pocket. This might be important to you.

11. Edge100 macrumors 68000

12. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816