Speedtest Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JamesM, Mar 25, 2011.

1. JamesM macrumors regular

Just had my broadband upgraded and was testing it this morning, using the mobile app with my iPhone connected to the wireless the speeds were slow. I then tried the website on my MBP going to the same servers and it was much faster.

Anybody else found this?

2. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

quite often i find this, check the ping also, the iphone always has a longer ping duration than my mac

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you try rebooting your router.
    I found that if connection speeds start suffering, I reboot the router and that seems to correct the issue. I'm running an apple time capsule btw.

4. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

how fast is the wifi connection you're on (b/g/n) and how clear is the signal?

that'll have more of an effect on your throughput than anything.

5. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I think it has more to do with the capabilities of the device itself. The reason I say this is that when tethering my MBP or my iPad to my iPhone 4 I can run speedtests and consistently get much faster (not just marginal) results from the MBP and iPad than with the iPhone 4 that it's being tethered through. In one case I recall that I was only getting 2.3 down from the iPhone and 4.5 down from my MBP that was being tethered through the iPhone 4 that only got 2.3 down a moment earlier.

6. aneftp macrumors 601

Speedtest mobile app appears "broken" in iOS 4.3. It hasn't worked for me (it would appear to work but not run"

I just finally deleted the app and will reinstall once they get the fix in.

7. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

works just fine for me. [​IMG]

8. big samm macrumors 65816

Have no problem with the app and it shows almost the same results on my ipad, macbbok pro ir my iphone 4...

9. JamesM thread starter macrumors regular

Both devices are connected on N and sat 5 feet away from the router, the iPhone was reporting roughly 15Mbps and the laptop 37Mbps.

10. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    Speedtest stopped working for me - would show a spike in speed, then go to zero for the majority of the test. I knew I wasn't having wifi issues - so I deleted the app and tried a different one - the FCC test app, and it shows exactly the same results that my mbp was getting. Clearly there are some issues with speedtest.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're not gonna get 37 with the iPhone speed test.
    Even though it will still be fast I don't think those speed test apps on the iPhone are made to test that high connections.
    Nothing to worry about.