SpeedUp from Bong to Loading OS Screen

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Hi all,

This is one thing that's been bothering me since I started using Powerbooks :cool:
Am I doing something wrong or does really need to take so long?

Best regards,
voidRunner

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Hi all,

This is one thing that's been bothering me since I started using Powerbooks :cool:
Am I doing something wrong or does really need to take so long?

Best regards,
voidRunner
It takes that long.

First off, mechanical hard drives. They only spin so fast. If you want a quicker boot time invest in a 7200rpm (or higher) drive.

If you want even faster, add an SSD.

My 17" PowerBook boots pretty fast on an mSATA SSD.

However, I usually short-circuit boot times by leaving my Macs on - 24/7. Not everyone does that though so getting a faster drive will improve things.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Hi eyoungren,

Do you mean the black screen after the bong until the gray screen
with the apple sign?

Best regards,
voidRunner
- - Post merged: - -

Hi Drone,

But why?
It seems it's looking for wich partition to boot from but thats already
set in the Open Firmware RAM.
It's a shame because even with an SSD drive you get a black screen and
sometimes I'm not sure if something is wrong or not ;-)

Best regards,
voidRunner

Project Alice

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Personally I have always been bothered by this too, but not to login. If you watch one of the many Intel Mac vs PPC mac bootup videos, regardless of how long it takes the OS to start up, the Intel mac always has an unfair advantage IMO. The Intel macs firmware initializes way faster than PPC macs do. Not only do they chime (bong) quicker, but from the chime to the OS even starts booting up is faster. If you take a G5 quad vs a Core Solo Mini, the mini will boot up faster just because the Open Firmware on the powermac takes so long in comparison. For it to be fair, you'd have to turn the PowerMac on, wait couple seconds and then turn on the Mini.

I'm a firm believer that not all Intel macs actually get to the desktop or login screen faster than PPC ones do; it just seems like it because the OF takes so damn long vs the EFI.

AphoticD

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2017
Australia
If your Mac has a failed PRAM battery it will take extra time post-chime to scan the volume(s) before starting the boot process. A quick fix to speed this up is to explicitly select the startup disk in system preferences and close. (Of course this setting will be lost when the power is pulled or the main battery goes flat)

You can check to see if a specific volume is defined with:
Code:
nvram boot-device
My output for this on my PBG4 17" is
Code:
boot-device    pci2/ata-6@D/@0:3,\\:tbxi
If nothing is defined it will scan all volumes and possibly the network too.

You might also want to try disabling the netboot scan via OF, which will probably speed things up as it won't try scanning the network - even a non-existent network seems to take a long time to scan, especially at the option-key multi-boot selector screen.

Code:
sudo nvram skip-netboot?=true
YMMV but worth a try :)

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Hi AphoticD,

Mine says
boot-device hd:,\\:tbxi

I suppose this will make it scan all HDs right?

Best regards,
voidRunner

Last edited:

AphoticD

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2017
Australia
Hi AphoticD,

Mine says
boot-device hd:,\\:tbxi

I suppose this will make it scan all HDs right?

Best regards,
voidRunner
I believe it will just scan the partition map of the primary hard drive (master device on bus 0). You could potentially speed things up by a few ticks by supplying the boot partition in the format of;
Code:
hd:@0:3,\\:tbxi
Where "3" would be your actual boot partition.

You can get an accurate reading of partition numbers of your primary hd using pdisk;
Code:
sudo pdisk /dev/disk0
Then enter "p" to display the partition map.

It seems the BootROM runs the power on self-tests during the time of post-chime and pre-display init, so unless there is a way to disable this then I don't think there is much that can be done to speed it up. According to some googling, there is a "run-self-test?" OF parameter which can be set to false, but I couldn't get this to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.