Speedy Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Rowf, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Rowf macrumors regular

I'm keen to try Lion but find the reviews on the App store very conflicting.
    Some people are well chuffed but a lot of them are disappointed and there are quite a few comments about it running slow and crashing.

The majority of posters on here seem quite pleased with Lion, has anyone had a disappointing experience with Lion regarding system speed?

I'm asking this because it will be quite an undertaking to download on my connection speed and Snow Leopard flies along on my Macbook, I don't want to go from a Flying Snow Leopard to a Crawling Lion.

Anyone tried it with the same specs as me?

I'm on a Macbook 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo and 2 GB ram.

2. hyteckit Guest

Runs pretty fast on my Macbook 2.3 i5 with 4GB RAM. Seems better than Snow Leopard. I would suggest upgrading to 4GB of RAM.

3. Rowf thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I was thinking a ram upgrade might be needed.
    I had a look around and it's not too expensive if I do it myself.

Does anyone have it running on 2 GB ram?
    If so how's it going?

4. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Runs pretty fast on my Late 2008 Macbook Pro with 4gb ram, no problems at all.

Contrary on most people, I love mission control and launchpad. Don't see a point of having the dock no more

5. Rowf thread starter macrumors regular

Thought I'd answer my own question in case anyone else was wondering about running Lion on minimum spec.

Yes, it runs o.k with 2gb ram.

Downloaded it early hours of this morning, all went well with no problems, everything works fine (so far, so good) and generally well chuffed.

Any speed difference is not really noticeable, maybe a slight lag on opening applications and a slightly slower start up speed but that's about all.
    Mission Control, Launchpad and Resume are all good features (for me, anyway, I know some people think otherwise) and have made the upgrade worth the money.

I think it would benefit from a ram upgrade and I will be taking it up to 4gb ram in the near future but for now it's fine on 2gb ram.
    One last thing, although Lion is running fine with 2gb I don't use my Macbook for anything intensive, it's main use is word processing using Scrivener and Pages.